It draws on the proximity and wealth of archives and museum collections of St Petersburg and its rich environs, and on our academic strength in history and anthropology. Students benefit from the ease of travel to Moscow, Finland, the Baltics and multiple regional locations within Russia. Recent graduates of the Global and Regional History (St. Petersburg) course from HSE University are enrolled in PhD programmes at Princeton, Oxford, and European University Institute in Florence.
How do these area studies benefit from the global history paradigm and its key current debates? How does in turn its classic problematic of modern empires and critiques of Eurocentrism benefit from Eurasian regional material and the emerging engagement with the questions of the anthropocene, histories of gender and economy, studies of science and technology, and religion and secularism? How does global history balance historians’ fundamental commitment to exploring history from below and the emphasis on translocal and global interconnections and hierarchies?
History is one of the most exciting subjects to study at university today, and HSE St Petersburg is unmatched as a place to study just as somewhere to be. We are a vibrant and friendly programme, innovative and intellectually inspiring, and proud of making everyone part of a community that extends well beyond the department of history. We makes an excellent bridge to further postgraduate study. Students significantly improve their Russian. Our recent graduates are enrolled in PhD programmes at Princeton, Oxford and European University Institute, Florence.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Аnthropology of Religion
- Gifts of Empire
- Early Modern Empires
- Historical Textual Criticism
- History of Art
- History of Historical Science
- History of Science
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesHistory International Relations View 4 other Masters in History in Russia
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- The resume (CV) must be written in English. The CV should reflect the education received; work experience, any practice or research (if any); internships, participation in academic or other conferences / schools in any field of knowledge or activity and / or in events in the field of culture and art; list of publications, including publications in mass media (if any), knowledge of languages.
- Statement of interest: The statement of interest should be written in English. It should indicate reasons for choosing this MA Programme; describe applicant’s possible MA research project; describe briefly what you plan to gain from MA teaching
- Writing sample of up to 50 pages
- BA with distinction or equivalent
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International1714 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1714 EUR per year during 24 months.
150 000 – 300 000 RUB/year
Living costs for Saint Petersburg
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.