The Biomedical Science (Medical Microbiology) programme from Keele University builds on existing, undergraduate knowledge in basic science and applying it to clinical, diagnostic and research applications relevant to Medical Microbiology and infectious diseases.
Biomedical Science is a key subject area comprising of all aspects of health and disease, within the subject are clinical laboratory disciplines that specifically address the knowledge and understanding of disease processes in the context of the study and investigation of those processes. The MSc Biomedical Science (Medical Microbiology) incorporates Microbiology and Virology.
The School of Life Science has developed extremely active and successful undergraduate and postgraduate Biomedical Science programmes. We have embraced specialists working in NHS Trusts and associated industries to develop outstanding, collaborative relationships covering key diagnostic and clinical specialties. Not only do students benefit from the inclusion of such specialist practitioners onto our teaching programmes, input from employers helps to shape the curriculum and can lead to highly competitive project opportunities working within related industries.
Aims are as follows:
- To develop students’ knowledge and understanding of different theoretical perspectives, methodological approaches, research interests and practical applications within Medical Microbiology and Virology
- To explore and explicitly critique the clinical, diagnostic and research implications within the fields of Medical Microbiology and Virology, and to place this in the context of a clinical laboratory, fully considering the potential implications for patients, health workers and research alike
- To develop a critical awareness of Biomedical ethics and to fully integrate these issues into project management including grant application and business planning
- To support student autonomy and innovation by providing opportunities for students to demonstrate originality in developing or applying their own ideas
- To direct students to integrate a complex knowledge base in the scrutiny and accomplishment of professional problem-solving scenarios and project development
- To enable student acquirement of advanced laboratory practical competencies and high level analytical skills
- To promote and sustain communities of practice that allow students to share best practice, encourage a multidisciplinary approach to problem-solving and to develop extensive communication skills, particularly their ability to convey complex, underpinning knowledge alongside their personal conclusions and rationale to specialist and non-specialist listeners
- To provide students with a wide range of learning activities and a diverse assessment strategy in order to fully develop their employability and academic skills, ensuring both professional and academic attainment
This programme is accredited by the Institute of Biomedical Science (IBMS) as the professional body of Biomedical Scientists within the United Kingdom. The IBMS aims to promote and develop the role of Biomedical Science within healthcare to deliver the best possible service for patient care and safety.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Biomedical Ethics and Grant proposal
- Research Methodologies
- Medical Microbiology
- Project Management and Business Planning
- Advanced Laboratory Techniques
- Infectious Diseases
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
There are no fixed closing dates for the majority of our courses, however some courses may become full and close early.
DisciplinesBio & Biomedical Engineering Biology Microbiology View 117 other Masters in Bio & Biomedical Engineering in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- Applicants are expected to hold either a 1st or 2nd class honours degree in Biomedical Science, or equivalent Life Science bachelor programme. Applications from candidates who do not meet this criteria, but can demonstrate appropriate professional qualifications and/or experience will also be considered. Note that applicants who have attained the IBMS Specialist Diploma may be eligible to enrol with accredited prior certified learning with reduced tuition fees and limited module exemption.
- Students who do not meet the entry requirements for this course, we offer the opportunity to take a Pre-MSc programme. For more information follow the link to the Graduate Diploma in Biomedical Science course.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International16500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16500 GBP per year during 12 months.
National9000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9000 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Keele
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.