Students can take this flexible, interdisciplinary programme as self-contained study or as preparation for a research degree.
The Language, Culture and History - Italian Studies programme from University College London (UCL) introduces students to texts from a variety of periods in Italian history and places them within a historical and philosophical framework.
Students develop subject-specific, professional skills necessary for the pursuit of their chosen options, including sourcing material, fieldwork techniques, bibliographic skills and linguistic skills.
Teaching and learning
The programme is delivered through a combination of seminars, tutorials, seminar-presentations, film screenings, and visits to research libraries including the British Library, the Warburg Institute, Institute of Historical Research and Senate House.
Students are assessed by a variety of methods: unseen examinations, long essays, coursework and the dissertation.
- Language, Culture and History
- Dante: Divina Commedia
- Advanced Translation from and into Italian
- Twilight and Futurist Poets in Italy
- Marriage and Divorce Italian Style
- Identity and Performance in Renaissance Italy
- Nation, Culture and Society in Italy (1860-1915)
- Italian Contemporary Novel
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- We recommend you apply as soon as possible. The programme may remain open if places are still available and will be closed as soon as it is full or by 30 June.
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies History Linguistics View 639 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in United Kingdom
- A minimum of an upper second-class Bachelor's degree in a relevant discipline from a UK university or an overseas qualification of an equivalent standard. Applicants must demonstrate proven competence in the Italian language, including good reading knowledge and aural comprehension.
- Applicants whose first degree is not in Italian, or whose first language is not Italian will normally be required to pass a test of their knowledge of the language before they can be admitted.
International26600 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 26600 GBP per year during 12 months.
National12900 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12900 GBP per year during 12 months.
- UK: £6,450
- International: £13,300
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.