The Language Sciences (Language Development) programme from University College London (UCL) prepares students from different backgrounds for work in the rapidly developing fields of language development research, and their technological applications.
Students take a core set of modules building a foundation to study current issues and research in the language sciences, specialising in language development. In selecting the modules for their specialisation, students will be able to take full advantage of the breadth of expertise in language research in the UCL Division of Psychology and Language Sciences.
The majority of students who graduate from Language Sciences MSc programmes go on to further study or research. Recent graduates have gone on to PhD study in UCL, and in other UK and overseas institutions.
Others have gone to work in related industries (for example in speech technology industries, cochlear implants manufacturers) or in education. The skills that the MSc develops - independent research, presentation skills, and statistics - are transferable skills that are very highly sought after outside academia.
Programme StructureCompulsory modules
- Introduction to the Brain and Imaging the Brain
- Research Methods: Principles, Skills and Applications
- Students select two specialisation modules from those below:
- Developmental Disorders of Language, Learning and Cognition
- Development of Speech Perception and Production
- Introduction to Children's Language Development
- Semantic-Pragmatic Development
- Psycholinguistics: Stages in Normal Development
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- We recommend you apply as soon as possible. The programme may remain open if places are still available and will be closed as soon as it is full or by 30 June.
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages Linguistics View 549 other Masters in Language Studies in United Kingdom
- Normally a minimum of an upper second-class Bachelor's degree from a UK university or an overseas qualification of an equivalent standard in a language science related area such as linguistics, speech sciences, English language, psychology, cognitive science, or a cognate discipline.
International32100 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 32100 GBP per year during 12 months.
National12900 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12900 GBP per year during 12 months.
- UK: £6,450
- International: £16,050
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.