The MSc in Sustainable Urbanism at the University College London (UCL) is intended for those interested in a career in built environment related professions with a focus on urban sustainability/sustainable development and takes a multidisciplinary approach.
Why study this degree at UCL?
The UCL Bartlett School of Planning has a strong history of teaching and research, and has been at the forefront of planning research and teaching for almost 100 years. It is one of the foremost planning schools in the United Kingdom, and students are taught by a range of top theorists and practitioners working in the field of sustainable urbanism.
This MSc programme is fully accredited by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS). It is also accredited by the Royal Town Planning Institute (RTPI) if taken as a specialist year following an accredited three-year undergraduate planning degree.
Graduate students from The Bartlett School of Planning have been very successful in gaining subsequent employment. At present there is a growing demand for our Master's graduates from a wide range of both public and private employers around the world. While a main source of employment remains in local government and central government planning and in planning-related consultancy (Arup, Aecom, BioRegional, WWF, Future of London, etc), graduates are also employed in the housing and transport sectors; planning, urban regeneration and environmental agencies; public and private utility companies; urban design consultancy (various planning, engineering and architecture firms); and teaching and research.
This programme is ideal for those who have no relevant work experience and want to forge a planning career right through to those who have extensive relevant work experience but want to consolidate their skills and knowledge. Students are taught by a range of theorists and sustainable urbanism practitioners including Bill Dunster (founder of ZEDfactory Ltd), Professor Yvonne Rydin, Dr Catalina Turcu and Professor Matthew Carmona.
Sucessfully completing the MSc Sustainable Urbanism (as a full MSc rather than a PG Diploma) will make you eligible for graduate membership of the RICS.
- Sustainable Urban Development: Key Themes
- Critical Debates in Sustainable Urbanism
- Urban Design: Place Making
- Sustainable Urban Design
- Sustainable Property: Valuation, Investment, Development
- Sustainable Urban Development: Project
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- We recommend you apply as soon as possible. The programme may remain open if places are still available and will be closed as soon as it's full or by 30 June.
DisciplinesDesign Sustainable Development Urban Planning View 523 other Masters in Design in United Kingdom
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Starting from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University College London (UCL) and/or in United Kingdom, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Normally a minimum of an upper second-class Bachelor's degree (or higher) from a UK university or an overseas qualification of an equivalent standard.
- Where candidates fail to meet the standard requirement (i.e. they hold a degree of a lower classification), the department will take into account professional experience in planning or a related field when deciding whether to admit a candidate.
- Applicants who do not hold a first degree may, in exceptional cases, be admitted to the programme if they are able to demonstrate considerable senior-level professional experience in planning or a related field.
International29400 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 29400 GBP per year during 12 months.
National14700 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14700 GBP per year during 12 months.
- UK: £7,350
- International: £14,700
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.