Our course is offered with the combination of English and one of the following languages: Arabic, French, German, Japanese, Italian, Portuguese and Spanish. You can be a native or near-native speaker of any of these languages, as you learn to translate to and from both languages. You work with native speakers in developing your ability to move accurately and quickly between your chosen language and English.
Explore our hands-on, practical modules in the Department of Language and Linguistics, including:
- Audiovisual Translation
- Translation Portfolio
- Subtitling Principles and Practice
If you love literature and languages and would like to acquire professional translation skills, then our MA Audiovisual and Literary Translation course offered by the University of Essex is for you. Takers of our courses in translation can use the skills gained to further their future career in this area.You develop a range of key employability skills including researching, writing for specific purposes, and translation. Our course typically leads to a career in translation, but could also lead to a career in education, publishing and administration.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Audiovisual Translation
- Subtitling: Principles and Practice
- Crossing the Boundaries: Literature and Translation in a Global Context
- The New Nature Writing
- Writing the Novel
- Memory Maps: Practices in Psychogeography
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
We recommend that you apply as soon as you are able to.
DisciplinesLiterature Translation & Interpreting Linguistics View 375 other Masters in Linguistics in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- If your first language is English
- We will consider a 2:2 degree( or international equivalent) in French, German, Italian, Portuguese or Spanish.
- If your first language is either French, German, Italian, Portuguese or Spanish
- We will consider a 2:2 degree ( or international equivalent) which includes English as a major component. If you have a joint honours degree (eg. Business Studies with English), your performance in the English component must be of a good standard.
- Applicants may be required to successfully pass a Translation aptitude test.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International19740 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19740 GBP per year during 12 months.
National9200 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9200 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Colchester
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.