Why study the MA Virtual and Extended Realities course?
Virtual and Extended Realities at University of the West of England (UWE Bristol) is one of the fastest growing markets in the world. There is a recognised shortage of graduates with the skills and experience needed to support transformation in every sector.
Why University of the West of England (UWE Bristol)?
In this one-year, full time course, you'll combine theory and critical thinking with practical experimentation. Throughout the year, you'll learn from pioneering thought-leaders and work with internationally significant industry partners. This collaboration will allow you to create innovative work in virtual and extended realities.
Previous partners include BBC R&D, Royal Opera House, English Institute of Sport and Ultraleap. You'll also benefit from the support of a personal mentor, hand-picked from our research and professional networks to support your development.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
You will study:
- Practical Experiments in Interactivity and Immersion - A series of practical workshops introducing you to a range of tools and technologies. These include virtual reality (VR), mobile and headset-based augmented reality, immersive sound and 360° filmmaking.
- Historical and Emerging Concepts in Storytelling - An historical perspective of storytelling across disciplines, exploring how our perceptions of storytelling change in light of emerging technologies.
- Virtual Reality Story Lab - You'll form small production companies and respond to live briefs from industry partners. Teams engage in a process of critical making to create innovative, proof-of-concept prototypes.
- Virtual Reality Collaborative Project - Final major project. You'll choose to develop either a collaborative, creative project, or a research paper that examines an emerging topic in virtual, augmented or extended reality.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- There are no specific deadlines, but the sooner you apply, the less likely you are to miss out.
DisciplinesVideo Games & Animation Computer Sciences Software Engineering View 223 other Masters in Software Engineering in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Starting from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of the West of England (UWE Bristol) and/or in United Kingdom, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Usually applicants will have an undergraduate degree in a relevant subject or professional experience (such as significant filmmaking or multimedia production), and a commitment to research and reflecting on creative practice. We are looking for highly motivated, creative students who are passionate about immersive storytelling and emerging technology.
- Due to the evolving nature of this field, we welcome students from different disciplines and backgrounds, technical and creative. We recruit students with experience in filmmaking, theatre, sound design, game design, experience design, animation, graphic design, software development, studio/media arts, scriptwriting, writing, and journalism.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International14000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14000 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
National7750 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7750 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
Living costs for Bristol
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.