Covering the huge breadth of forms of documentary, you'll study wide-ranging filmmaking practices and apply these to producing your own films.
The course is practice-focused, expanding your experience of documentary filmmaking, and training you to be a 'thinking documentary filmmaker', as you learn from the work of great documentarists.
This Screen Production (Documentary) from University of the West of England (UWE Bristol) is integrated into the buoyant documentary sector of Bristol's audiovisual economy, where Channel 4 recently opened its regional hub, and commissioners are investing in documentary projects.
Some of the fastest growing indies in the UK, such as Plimsoll, Drummer, Silverback and Icon Films are based here and we work closely with local companies, as well as the BBC, to offer you varied production opportunities.
Careers / Further study
You'll be equipped to follow a wide range of careers in the increasingly diverse field of documentary filmmaking, working for broadcasters or setting up your own independent film company.
You're most likely to first secure work as a researcher or production team associate in a larger production company, before seeking commissions to make your own documentaries.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The Diversity of Documentary
- Documentary Research and Development
- Screen Criticism and Analysis
- Screen Industries Issues and Debates
- Entrepreneurship in the Creative Economy
- Developing a Screen Business Concept for the Marketplace
- Final Project.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- There are no specific deadlines, but the sooner you apply, the less likely you are to miss out.
DisciplinesFilm, Photography & Media Media Studies & Mass Media View 381 other Masters in Film, Photography & Media in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Applicants should have an undergraduate degree in a relevant subject, or professional experience (such as significant work in film production), and a commitment to research and reflecting on creative practice. You will be expected to demonstrate some experience of your practice in film, video or documentary production. We are looking for highly motivated students with a passionate commitment to creating original documentary films.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International14000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14000 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
National7750 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7750 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
Living costs for Bristol
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.