Whether it is helping someone to have the confidence to analyse more challenging texts, inspiring a budding writer or engaging communicator, or enabling your pupils to look beyond the surface and become increasingly knowledgeable and critical readers, your English teaching will leave a strong legacy.
As an English teacher today you will need more than a solid grounding in the study of literature. You will need to be aware of the ways in which children read a vast range of texts in a variety of media and to understand how speaking and listening skills are developed.
Schools are seeking teachers with high levels of pedagogical competence and skill, as well as advanced subject knowledge for teaching as well as knowledge of the theories, policies and systems relevant to education.
The focus of your Secondary Education (English) with Recommendation for QTS programme from Brunel University London will be on the principles and methods of teaching and learning delivered through three core modules, together with compulsory, practical school-based teaching placements. Your progress will be assessed in both areas.
Careers and your future
A Brunel PGCE with recommendation for QTS is a recognised symbol of high quality Initial Teacher Education (ITE). This is demonstrated by Brunel’s outstanding employment rates over time and feedback from Brunel alumni student teachers, our partnership schools and Ofsted inspectors.
Brunel PGCE graduates have gone on to work in our Partnership schools, and many in schools where they undertook a placement experience. This allows the department to retain links with former students and often they become school-based mentors for Brunel PGCE students. The department also has a network of alumni in positions of responsibility in schools across the country.
- The PGCE in Secondary Education (English) will equip you with a critical understanding of the issues that impact upon the education of children and young people as well as theory and practice in teaching, learning and assessment as you learn to specialise in the teaching of English.
- The course is structured to balance the taught elements with independent professional learning activities (PLAs) of which your placements will be a key part in relation to the Teachers’ Standards for Qualified Teacher Status.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguages Teaching Secondary Education View 107 other Masters in Secondary Education in United Kingdom
Our conditions of entry to the PGCE Secondary Education programme require that applicants have:
- An undergraduate or postgraduate degree in the field in which you intend to teach. Normally this should be a 2.2 classification or above in preparation for Masters level professional study.
- Maths and English grades A* to C or equivalent at GCSE level.
International16825 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16825 GBP per year during 12 months.
National9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP per year during 12 months.
- EU applicants will have the same tuition fees as UK students
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.