The Toxicology programme offered by the University of Birmingham are designed to meet the future needs of the sector, with contributions by international experts from the pharmaceutical industries, contract research companies, government and external toxicology centres.
You will learn about the nature and mechanism of adverse effects of chemicals such as those found in industry, in the household, in agriculture, in medicine and those that occur naturally in the environment. We give particular emphasis to molecular and cellular mechanisms of toxicity and to risk assessment.
The MSc Toxicology programme provides training in theoretical, clinical and laboratory aspects of toxicology and acts as a conversion course, taking students from a variety of backgrounds and giving them new skills to enable them to move into research and employment in the field of toxicology and related disciplines.
The success rate of students on the MSc in Toxicology programme is approximately 95% and the career opportunities are excellent. Even in times of economic hardship toxicology remains a necessary and important area for funding. The current concern over environmental safety adds to these opportunities.
Those completing the programme in recent years have been employed, for example, in:
- the pharmaceutical industries
- contract research laboratories
- government bodies such as the Health and Safety Executive, Health Protection Agency, Food Standards Agency
- NHS Poisons Units
- water research establishments in pollution control
- hospital and research laboratories
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Metabolism and Mechanisms of Toxicity
- Forensic, Clinical and Occupational Toxicology
- Assessing Toxic Potential
- Regulatory Science and Toxicology for the 21st Century
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , National
DisciplinesBiology Human Medicine Toxicology View 453 other Masters in Biology in United Kingdom
- A good second class Honours degree, or equivalent for EU/overseas degrees, in Biochemistry, Biology, Human Biology, Microbiology, Zoology/Animal Biology, Chemistry, Pharmacology, Pharmacy, Pharmaceutical Science, Physiology, Medicine, Dentistry, Veterinary Science, Medical Science. Graduates not fully meeting the criteria but with at least two years approved postgraduate experience may also be considered.
International24480 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 24480 GBP per year during 12 months.
National10260 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10260 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Birmingham
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.