Metabolism and surgical facilities in the Animal Science Complex, along with specialized laboratory equipment in the Genomics Lab and other departments on campus, including, Veterinary and Biomedical Sciences, and Health and Nutritional Sciences programs are also available.
Graduate students accepted in the program will have opportunities to utilize these facilities to develop basic and/or applied research programs in dairy product processing, microbiology, chemistry, food safety, dairy cattle nutrition, metabolism, genomics, breeding, microbiology of the rumen, immunology, and management, while interacting with well qualified faculty.
The SDSU Dairy Science program, in collaboration with the Food Science and Nutrition program at the University of Minnesota and the Food Science and Human Nutrition program at Iowa State University, constitute the Midwest Dairy Foods Research Center.
This collaborative center provides graduate students in the manufacturing area a unique opportunity to be involved with current issues and research needs.
This Biological Sciences - Dairy Science program at South Dakota State University will be a good fit if you:
- Have an undergraduate degree in dairy science, animal science, food science and engineering, or related fields
- Have an interest in the dairy industry
- Like intellectual challenges
- Have leadership skills
- Enjoy scientific inquiry and problem solving
- Ruminant Nutritionist
- Livestock Geneticist
- Dairy Product Processing specialist
- Quality Control/Assurance Director – Food and Dairy
- Microbiologist – Food Safety Analyst
- Dairy Farm or Plant Management
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Student Learning Outcomes
- Exhibit knowledge concerning dairy science, either manufacturing or production, at a level appropriate to a M.S. degree holder.
- Demonstrate adequate presentation and communication skills, including thesis and journal article writing, poster and oral presentation skills.
- Demonstrate information literacy for science-based inquiry and critical review of existing knowledge sources.
- Demonstrate an understanding of scientific methods and application of analytical techniques for solving research problems.
- Develop a deep understanding of experimental design, statistical analysis and use of inferential statistics to make valid judgements based on scientific data.
- Specialize research focus in some area such as dairy manufacturing, dairy microbiology or dairy production, but still be broadly based in knowledge of dairy science.
- Be able to conduct and publish scholarly research.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
- International students are encouraged to apply several weeks prior to posted deadlines or the start of the semester to ensure all required documents are received.
DisciplinesBiology Food Sciences View 1150 other Masters in Biology in United States
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- A minimum GPA of 3.0 to receive unconditional admission.
- A professional academic transcript evaluation for degrees earned outside the United States(This requirement cannot be waived unless your highest degree was earned or will be earned in the U.S. prior to enrollment at SDSU).
- If you are completing your bachelor's degree at the time of application, you may submit an incomplete evaluation. If you are accepted, a complete transcript and/or evaluation with completed degree will be required by the end of your first semester of coursework.
- Official U.S. transcripts where a degree is earned (or will be earned), and official U.S. transcripts where graduate level coursework has been taken.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International9810 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 654 USD per credit during 24 months.
National9810 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 654 USD per credit during 24 months.
In-State5100 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 340 USD per credit during 24 months.
Living costs for Brookings
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.