Graduate students receive advanced preparation related to food processing, product development, and food safety. Food Science is a multi-disciplinary program that is administered by the Department of Dairy and Food Science; but may also include such diverse areas as animal science, food grain processing, and agricultural & biosystems engineering.
This Biological Sciences - Food Science program at South Dakota State University will be a good fit if you:
- Hold an undergraduate degree in food science, microbiology, or chemistry
- Are a problem solver and analytical thinker
- Want to lead research in the lab
- Are interested in developing new food innovations
- Are imaginative and creative
- Product developer
- Research scientist
- Food plant operations manager
- Food safety specialist
- Food Quality Control/Assurance Director
- Inspector/Third-party quality and safety auditor
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Student Learning Outcomes
- Exhibit knowledge concerning food science at a level appropriate to a M.S. degree holder.
- Demonstrate adequate presentation and communication skills, including thesis and journal article writing, poster and oral presentation skills.
- Demonstrate information literacy for science-based inquiry and critical review of existing knowledge sources.
- Demonstrate an understanding of scientific methods and application of analytical techniques for solving research problems.
- Develop a deep understanding of experimental design, statistical analysis and use of inferential statistics to make valid judgements based on scientific data.
- Specialize research focus in some area of food processing, food product development, food microbiology or food safety, but still be broadly based in knowledge in food science.
- Be able to conduct and publish scholarly research. (Option A)
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
- International students are encouraged to apply several weeks prior to posted deadlines or the start of the semester to ensure all required documents are received.
DisciplinesBiology Food Sciences View 1138 other Masters in Biology in United States
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- A minimum GPA of 3.0 to receive unconditional admission.
- A professional academic transcript evaluation for degrees earned outside the United States(This requirement cannot be waived unless your highest degree was earned or will be earned in the U.S. prior to enrollment at SDSU).
- If you are completing your bachelor's degree at the time of application, you may submit an incomplete evaluation. If you are accepted, a complete transcript and/or evaluation with completed degree will be required by the end of your first semester of coursework.
- Official U.S. transcripts where a degree is earned (or will be earned), and official U.S. transcripts where graduate level coursework has been taken.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International9810 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 654 USD per credit during 24 months.
National9810 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 654 USD per credit during 24 months.
In-State5100 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 340 USD per credit during 24 months.
Living costs for Brookings
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.