Through the study of writing, rhetoric, theory, and literature, students in our online M.A. program develop highly-valued skills and capacities that will prove indispensable whether they are pursuing careers in education, creative or professional writing, business, publishing, advertising, consulting, marketing, public relations, law, technology, or medicine.
Our students are trained in writing, analysis, research, problem solving, project management, and leadership.
At the same time, they explore the ways in which literature—both that we read and that we write—deepens our understanding of ourselves, cultivates our knowledge of the world, and develops our empathy for others.
Students who pursue the online M.A. in English (online) program at South Dakota State University position themselves not only to excel professionally, but to pursue meaningful work that fosters human connections, improves communities, and adds value to their lives and the lives of others.
Opportunities for Careers and Further Education
- Middle school or high school teaching
- College or university teaching or advising
- Editing and publishing
- Creative, professional, technical, and grant writing
- Marketing and sales
- Public relations
- Graduate school
- Law school
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Students who choose the thesis option must complete twenty-four credits of coursework (eight courses) and six credits of thesis for a total of thirty credits;
- students who choose the portfolio option must complete thirty credits of coursework (ten courses) and two credits of research for a total of thirty-two credits; students who choose the written exam option must complete thirty-six credits of coursework (twelve courses).
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages Literature View 75 other Masters in Language Studies in United States
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- For admission into the M.A. Program in English, applicants must have a minimum of twenty-four semester hours of undergraduate credit in English or receive the consent of the Department Head.
- To be considered for unconditional acceptance and to be eligible for a graduate teaching assistantship, applicants must have at least a 3.0 undergraduate GPA and a 3.25 GPA in their undergraduate English courses.
- A one-page statement of purpose explaining the applicant’s interest in and goals for graduate study.
- An eight- to ten-page critical writing sample.
- Two letters of recommendation from faculty at the applicant’s undergraduate institution.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International466 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 466 USD per credit during 24 months.
National466 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 466 USD per credit during 24 months.
In-State466 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 466 USD per credit during 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.