The MA track on Digital Culture Studies is research-oriented. The speed and intensity of innovation in the new online-offline nexus raises fundamental research problems, many of which remain unaddressed. With a creative and inquisitive attitude you will critically review existing research frameworks and propose new conceptual and analytical tools for the study of emerging 21st century culture.
- Research concrete digital-cultural practices from within a broad interdisciplinary social-theoretical field and with an outspoken empirical emphasis.
- Learn all about social, cultural and political transformation of contemporary societies and investigate the influence of digitalization on social life.
- Become aware of inclusionary and exclusionary effects in contemporary digital culture, and their impact on social structure.
- Develop practical skills such as writing, analyzing and interpreting texts and images, critical reflection on societal issues, and participating in public debate.
- Turn academic content into publications that are accessible to a wider public through Diggit Magazine, both a learning instrument and an online news platform focusing on digital culture, globalization, and arts.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
The MA Digital Culture Studies consists of 9 courses and a thesis.
Typical courses are:
- Digital media and everyday life
- Digital Knowledge
- Digital Industries and infrastructures
- The hybrid media system and online writing
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- Apply before , National
- 4 core courses (24 ECTS)
- 2 research skills courses (6 ECTS)
- 2 elective courses (12 ECTS)
- 1 thesis seminar (3 ECTS)
- Master’s thesis (15 ECTS)
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Communication Studies Liberal Arts View 25 other Masters in Communication Studies in Netherlands
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Starting from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Tilburg University and/or in Netherlands, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- You are certainly eligible to apply if you have a Bachelor's degree in Humanities or Social Sciences, such as: Culture Studies, Linguistics and Applied Linguistics, Modern Languages, Psychology, Social Geography, Communication Studies, Sociology, Media Studies, Anthropology, Political Sciences, Philosophy, Economics, Law, History and Liberal Arts and Sciences.
- However, the academic background of the students in our Master's program varies a lot. Students with a Bachelor's degree in a different subject area are also most welcome to apply.
- You need to prove your English proficiency
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International15100 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15100 EUR for the full programme during 12 months.
EU/EEA2253 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2253 EUR for the full programme during 12 months.
Living costs for Tilburg
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Tilburg School of Humanities and Digital Sciences Partner Scholarships for talented students from our partner universities. Find more information on our website: https://www.tilburguniversity.edu/education/masters-programmes/tuition-fees-scholarships/tshscholarships
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.