The International Trade and Maritime Law programme from Solent University delivers essential knowledge of the legal frameworks at the heart of shipping claims, disputes and commercial relationships.
Exploring how marine disputes and liabilities are investigated and managed, you will develop detailed understanding of this complex, specialised branch of the law. You will be equipped to advise on the merits of claims, and to communicate effectively with legal practitioners. You will also develop the professional grounding to apply that knowledge in the practical industry, and the analytical, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills to respond with legal analysis of the challenges arising in the international trade industry.
Led by prominent industry speaker and maritime law academic Susan Hawker, the course team of experienced academics and legal practitioners deliver a blend of legal knowledge and commercial expertise – guiding your development of practical real-world knowledge and skills to enhance your current or future career.
Solent’s international trade and maritime law programme of studies will enable those working in the shipping industry to develop their current careers. It will also help those seeking career changes within or wishing to enter the shipping industry. The course prepares students to:
- Handle and manage claims within the P&I Club world.
- Assist lawyers.
- Work in a legal capacity on maritime disputes and marine casualties.
- Work within the general average surveying environment.
- International Sale of Goods
- Carriage of Goods by Sea
- Admiralty and Marine Insurance
- Marine Dispute Management
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesInternational Law International Business View 76 other Masters in International Law in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Honours degree in a relevant maritime subject, such as maritime studies, shipping, maritime business or law, or other appropriate subject and relevant professional qualification and experience.
- Certificate of Competency as Master or Chief Engineer, Class 1 Master Mariner, Class 1 Engineer, STCW Management Level Qualifications, or equivalent, and work experience in the maritime industry to a reasonable level of management responsibility, such as Master, Chief Officer, Chief Engineer, First Engineer or equivalent.
- Higher National Diploma or Foundation Degree in a maritime/law discipline
International7995 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7995 GBP per year during 12 months.
EU/EEA7995 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7995 GBP per year during 12 months.
Solent University offers a range of bursaries and scholarships that provide financial assistance or waive fees for tuition or accommodation. Each bursary or scholarship has specific eligibility criteria.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.