The Psychology - Counseling Psychology program aims at educating future psychologists who have sound knowledge of the theory and practice of counseling psychology, who are competent consumers and creative producers of social science research, who are competent in counseling practice, and who are ethical and sensitive to the cultures, values, and worlds of various clients.
Viewing research and practice as interdependent and mutually supporting, the MA in psychology with an emphasis in counseling psychology program is based on the scientist-practitioner training model. The program is committed both to preparing counseling psychologists for advanced doctoral studies in psychology and to providing training and experience that prepare students for practice.
Its goal is to train psychologists who have a sound knowledge of the bases of counseling and psychotherapy. Adopting a multicultural perspective, the program also emphasizes the importance of multicultural competence in both research and practice.
Upon successful completion of the Psychology - Counseling Psychology program at Webster University Leiden, students will be able to:
- Explain the main approaches to counseling and psychotherapy and the role of the therapeutic relationship.
- Describe important theories of human development and examine their significance to counseling psychology.
- Discuss the major categories of psychological disorders and use this knowledge to assess and diagnose psychopathology.
- Describe the mechanisms of action for a variety of psychopharmacological agents and evaluate the role of psychopharmacology in counseling psychology.
- Describe the importance of professional ethics and demonstrate how ethical standards and legal requirements are relevant to the practice of counseling and psychotherapy.
- Administer and interpret various widely-used psychological tests.
- Construct the appropriate research design, collect data, and implement the necessary statistical techniques to answer re-search questions relevant to counseling psychology which adds to the discipline.
- Demonstrate practical counseling skills that can be applied to individuals and groups to address a broad range of issues and settings.
- Integrate theory, experience, behavioral observation and analysis to systematically enhance counseling knowledge and skills.
- Evaluate the appropriateness of various counseling approaches to different cultures, values, and worldviews of various clients and choose appropriate approaches.
- Bases of Counseling Psychology
- Approaches to Counseling and Therapy
- Advanced Developmental Psychology
- Research Design
- Group Processes and Group Therapy
- Ethical and Legal Foundations
- Applied Statistics and Research Methods
- Special Topics in Counseling Psychology
- Masters’ Thesis
- Practice and Supervision
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
- Students who need a Visa need to apply at least 3 months before their intended start date.
DisciplinesPsychology Clinical Psychology Counselling Psychology View 18 other Masters in Clinical Psychology in Netherlands
- Online Application Form.
- Application Fee (USD 50).
- A copy of your passport’s biographical page, plus any current residence permit or visa for the Netherlands.
- Copy of a recent CV or Resume.
- Letter of motivation (one page) stating why you want to pursue the program and how it ties into your current career or future professional goals.
- Certified copies of your Bachelor level transcripts
- TOEFL 550/80 or IETLS 6.5 scores or other English proficiency scores if applicable.
- Letter of recommendation from a professional supervisor, professor or other professional colleague who are able to comment on your strengths and ability to be a successful graduate student.
- Enrollment and Tuition Deposit
International14280 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 28560 EUR for the full programme during 24 months.
EU/EEA14280 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 28560 EUR for the full programme during 24 months.
Living costs for Leiden
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.