The program captures two dimensions of study: on the one hand, the international, which includes governance on the regional, global and transnational levels; and on the other hand, the public, which includes interaction among the government, private and the voluntary sector.
Study your passion
After the first term of compulsory courses in public policy, politics, economics, and international relations, you must choose one of two specializations for the next three terms of your MA: (i) Democracy and Rule of Law or (ii) Policy and Governance. The final two terms of the second year are devoted to a mandatory thesis.
Goal of the program
The overarching aim of the program is to provide students with a solid conceptual grounding in international dimensions of public affairs that will prepare students for their future roles as policy-makers, advisors, and analysts in government, international organizations and non-governmental organizations or in journalism, thinks tanks and academia. Through the courses included in the core curricula, the course is designed to give graduate a broad interdisciplinary base that draws on the disciplines of economics, international relations, politics and public policy.
- Systematic understanding of theories, concepts and principles behind ‘international public affairs’;
- Systematic understanding ‘international public affairs’ at all levels of governance;
- Systematic understanding of, and capability to work with, the core research methods of economics, international relations, politics and public policy
- Systematic development of interdisciplinary skills across economics, international relations, politics and public policy
- An ability to navigate disciplinary boundaries and work with interdisciplinary research including a strong humanities/history component
- Program approved and registered by the New York State Education Department
- Program accredited by the Agency for Quality Assurance and Accreditation Austria (AQ-Austria)
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Policy Analysis
- International Relations
- Democratic Institutional Design
- Documentary for Social Change
- Economic Analysis for Public Policy
- Law and Public Policy
- Elections and Democracy
- Media Systems and Democracy
- European Union Governance
- Public Management
- Economics of Higher Education
- Institutions and Actors in the Policy Process
- International and European Refugee Law and Policy
- The Law and Politics of Combating Violence Against Women
- Media Systems and Democracy: Social Media
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Feb. 1: financial aid
- March 15: self-financing candidates requiring a study visa
- Aug. 15: self-financing candidates not requiring a study visa
DisciplinesPublic Administration Public Policy View 5 other Masters in Public Administration in Austria
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Completed online application form: www.ceu.edu/apply
- Proof of English proficiency
- Letters of recommendation
- Bachelor’s degree (social sciences preferred)
- Academic records
- Statement of purpose
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International12000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12000 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEA12000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12000 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Vienna
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
In pursuit of its mission, CEU strives to attract world-class graduate talent from all over the world, offering generous scholarships available to students from any country.
In 2018-2019, 82% of CEU students received financial aid, ranging from tuition awards to scholarships with stipends and housing. Learn more about how to fund your studies at www.ceu.edu/financialaid.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.