- Provide the opportunity for you to develop a critical and in-depth understanding of the theory and practice of Compassion Focused Therapy (CFT)
- Give you the opportunity to gain integral knowledge of the assessment and formulation and interventions in CFT
- Enhance your skills through intensive clinical supervision that examines clinical practice to ensure transfer of knowledge into the clinical setting
- Give you the opportunity to receive expert training throughout the course
Compassion focused therapy, developed by Professor Paul Gilbert OBE, is a psychological approach that was originally developed to help people with high shame and self-criticism.
Compassion Focused Therapy is a rich integrative model rooted in evolutionary, neuro and psychological science models. There are also influences from Buddhist philosophy, and the course aims to develop your understanding of the various theories and philosophies that inform this approach. The CFT approach pays particular attention to the key role of the therapeutic relationship and the course aims to enhance the skills and competencies required to work effectively with this model.
People who take this course are often employed as therapists within organisations such as the NHS or third sector organisations or are self-employed therapists. Developing knowledge and skills in CFT is seen as a valuable addition to their practice.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Theories of Compassion including Drive, Safeness and Threat
- Distinguishing External and Internal Threats
- Exploring different types of shame and how shame is linked to self-criticism, threat and safety behaviours
- Therapeutic Relationship
- Functional Assessment and Analysis
- Formulating problems in terms of threat and safety strategies
- Key Therapy skills such as guided discovery, meditation and imagery
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesPsychology Cognitive Sciences Counselling Psychology View 831 other Masters in Psychology in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- You'll usually need an undergraduate or an equivalent qualification in a psychological health related profession such as mental health nursing, clinical psychology, therapeutic counselling.
- You will need to be accredited (or working towards) as a therapist. You will need to have access to clients to be able to provide one-to-one or group compassion focused therapy. You need to be It literate as this is a blended learning course, and involves a great deal of work online.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
EU/EEA1333 GBP/moduleTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1333 GBP per module during 12 months.
- £1,333 per 20 credits
Living costs for Derby
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.