The programme offers you a range of tutor and peer-led opportunities to produce new writing and critically reflect on that practice. We focus on the expressive potential and persuasive power of language whilst encouraging you to critically explore texts and their relationship to the world.
The degree without a specialist pathway maintains a strong focus on employability. Everyone gets the opportunity to pitch their work one-to-one to a literary agent. Furthermore, all students receive advice and guidance from working writers who will take you through contracts and tax, the business of publishing and how to run a workshop.
The Creative Writing programme from University of Derby gives all students the opportunity to undertake arranged work experience in the arts or in communication. Graduates leave this MA with a portfolio of their own writing, prepared for a career as arts professionals (including but not limited to publication) and progression to doctoral level study.
The MA Creative Writing has a core programme (the MA Creative Writing) and two pathway awards: Gaming and Publishing. All of the core programme modules are specifically designed to suit their purpose and carefully integrated with each other. The programme takes into account on going research as well as developments, trends and innovations within the discipline and industries which it attends to.
Considerable care and attention have been devoted to ensuring that graduate employability is a central feature of the MA Creative Writing programme. When recruiting graduates, UK employers place particular emphasis on the specific skills, the professional experience and the area of degree specialisation of students; these are central and fundamental to this programme of study. Not only is the programme orientated towards employability via the prescribed module 'Working as a writer', each pathway imparts specific skills, intellectual abilities and industry-specific knowledge in order to help prepare you for publication, employment, freelance work, self-employment, or business set-up.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Writing Workshop
- Working as a Writer
- Books and Society
- Editorial and Editing
- Writing Apprenticeship
- Writing Commission
- Work Experience
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Creative Writing Literature View 417 other Masters in Literature in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of Derby and/or in United Kingdom, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- The entry requirement to this programme is a good honours degree (1st or 2:1) in any subject, or its international equivalent. Applications may be considered if you have a 2:2 honours degree and/or can demonstrate significant experience with creative writing or related industry experience or aptitude. Such students would have plans for a creative project, which they would wish to follow through to completion. You are expected to send a small sample of your writing, between 1,000 to 2,000 words along with your application,
- The university welcomes applications from every sector of society. It is important that we get to know you, your aspirations and your expectations. Therefore, before being accepted on to the programme all applicants will be invited to an informal interview to discuss the course, the nature of the programme, and what will be expected of you during it.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International14700 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14700 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
National6300 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6300 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
- UK part-time fees: £700 per 20 credits
Living costs for Derby
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.