Substance use and addictive disorders are diseases that adversely affect individuals, families and communities as a whole. As an aspiring addiction counselor, you could work toward effecting meaningful change in the lives of people in your community. A master’s degree is a required stepping stone toward licensure in many states.
The Master of Science in Addiction Counseling at Grand Canyon University is designed to blend classroom instruction with real-world, hands-on learning experiences. Students examine matters of professional ethics, major counseling theories and principles, psychopharmacology and chemical dependency in adolescents.
Graduates with a Master’s in Addiction Counseling emerge fully prepared to pursue licensure and work opportunities in various settings.
Graduates with an MS in addiction counseling are academically prepared to meet the requirements for licensure in Arizona as a licensed associate substance abuse counselor (LASAC) or a licensed independent substance abuse counselor (LISAC). Graduates may also be prepared to seek licensure or additional certification in other states they may wish to practice in. All students are responsible for understanding the licensing requirements for their states, as criteria may vary from state to state.
- Graduate Studies in the Health Sciences
- Professional Counseling Orientation and Ethics
- Counseling Theories
- Addictions and Substance Use Disorders
- Group Counseling Theory and Practice
- Social and Cultural Diversity Issues in Counseling
- Psychopharmacology and Addictions
- 2 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesPsychology Clinical Psychology Counselling Psychology View 69 other Masters in Clinical Psychology in United States
- Graduate applicants may be accepted at GCU with an undergraduate degree from an accredited college or program that has been approved by Grand Canyon University (GCU), with a 2.8 GPA or higher.
- If you do not meet the GPA requirement, you may be eligible for admission with a graduate degree from an accredited, GCU-approved college or program and passing test scores: GMAT, GRE.
International24732 USD/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 687 USD per credit during 2 months.
National24732 USD/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 687 USD per credit during 2 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.