The aim of this Master of Advanced Journalism (Extension) at University of Technology Sydney is to foster innovative thinking based on a critical understanding of the digital forces buffeting the news media industry. Graduates of the program:
- have strong and flexible research, reporting and production skills, and a critical understanding of contemporary media
- are innovative practitioners and agile thinkers who are able to develop new ideas and practices across journalism and media
- strive towards leadership positions that are grounded in ethical, professional and transparent practice
- possess the ability to work across platforms, channels and disciplines in digital and emerging environments
- have an understanding of the role of the media in local, regional, national and global contexts.
Career options include reporter, producer, presenter and editor across all types of private and public media, broadcast and publishing organisations including digital start-ups, the not-for-profit sector and non-media publishers.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Advanced Journalism
- Media Law and Accountability
- Journalism Studies
- Digital Journalism and Beyond
- Data and Computational Journalism
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesJournalism Media Studies & Mass Media Linguistics View 33 other Masters in Media Studies & Mass Media in Australia
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of Technology Sydney and/or in Australia, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
Applicants must have completed a UTS recognised bachelor's degree, or an equivalent or higher qualification, or submitted other evidence of general and professional qualifications that demonstrates potential to pursue graduate studies.
All applicants, except UTS undergraduate journalism graduates, need to submit the following:
- a CV
- an example of their professional work, which includes:
- links to or the text of any journalistic work, or
- links to the applicant's own website, blogposts or published essays and opinion articles, or
- storytelling forms that include short stories, essays, and short documentary style audio and video recordings.
If none of the above is available, applicants may provide a short essay of no more than 1000 words about key challenges facing journalism and the news media industry.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International38496 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 802 AUD per credit during 24 months.
- A small number of postgraduate courses offer government subsidised Commonwealth Supported Places (CSP).
Living costs for Sydney
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
- Australia Awards Scholarships (Australian Government Scholarships)
- Dr Chau Chak Wing Scholarship (KTP Master Degree)
- International Postgraduate Coursework Full Tuition Scholarship
- LATAM International Postgraduate Coursework Scholarship
- Postgraduate Academic Excellence Scholarship
- UTS 30th Anniversary Study Abroad Accommodation Scholarship
- UTS ATN-LATAM Scholarships
- UTS Grant for Masters by Coursework Students
- UTS Nepal Scholarship (Postgraduate Coursework)
- UTS Study Abroad Excellence Scholarship
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.