Students have access to staff that are leading researchers and experts in their field. Undertaking this course allows students to explore their research potential and develop research skills. It is designed to provide a scholarship pathway to the PhD program.
This Master of Philosophy in Forensic Science at the University of Technology Sydney is designed to expand students' knowledge and practice of forensic science alongside developing science management and leadership capabilities, culminating in a substantial research project in Year 2. The course contains compulsory core and elective practice-focused forensic science subjects across a range of disciplines from the crime scene to the laboratory. Professional subjects covering a range of skills crucial to all professional scientists – such as project and laboratory management, advanced scientific communication, ethics, innovation and science business models – complete Year 1.
Year 2 comprises a substantial research component, giving students an opportunity to undertake original, cutting-edge research. For students with suitable achievement levels, this provides a direct pathway to a PhD, and carries points that can be used in the scholarship application process.
The course aims to produce adaptable forensic scientists who are proficient with modern professional practice and technology, and have strong general professional skills such as scientific communication, critical analysis, and project management. With a substantial research component, students develop their research skills, which can be utilised either in industry R&D or as the initial foundations of a research career.
Depending on the area of specialisation, graduates may pursue employment with organisations such as the Australian Federal Police, state policing agencies, ASIO, CSIRO, ANSTO, customs, immigration, and private forensic agencies. Career options include criminalist, trace evidence specialist, forensic toxicologist, DNA specialist, scene-of-crime officer, team leader in investigations, fire investigator, fingerprint analyst.
Graduates may also proceed to a career in research through entry to a PhD.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Advanced Communication Skills in Science
- Forensic Science
- Leadership in Science
- Innovation, Entrepreneurship and Commercialisation
- Ethics in Human Research
- Ethics in Animal Research
- Laboratory Management
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , National
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesChemistry Biology Forensic Science View 19 other Masters in Forensic Science in Australia
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Applicants must have completed a UTS recognised bachelor's degree, or an equivalent or higher qualification, or submitted other evidence of general and professional qualifications that demonstrates potential to pursue graduate studies.
- This program is normally available to students who have commenced in the Master of Forensic Science (Extension) (C04392) or Master of Forensic Science (C04391), and demonstrated exceptional academic achievement and research potential. Admission is via internal course transfer. Prospective students must liaise with their program director to organise a supervisor and project.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International41904 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 873 AUD per credit during 24 months.
- A small number of postgraduate courses offer government subsidised Commonwealth Supported Places (CSP).
Living costs for Sydney
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
- Australia Awards Scholarships (Australian Government Scholarships)
- Dr Chau Chak Wing Scholarship (KTP Master Degree)
- International Postgraduate Coursework Full Tuition Scholarship
- LATAM International Postgraduate Coursework Scholarship
- Postgraduate Academic Excellence Scholarship
- UTS 30th Anniversary Study Abroad Accommodation Scholarship
- UTS ATN-LATAM Scholarships
- UTS Grant for Masters by Coursework Students
- UTS Nepal Scholarship (Postgraduate Coursework)
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.