The program is delivered in blended mode, utilising online, interactive teaching and learning activities coupled with a block of on-campus learning each session. Expert guest lecturers participate throughout the course, ensuring relevance and real-world application of coursework. On-campus learning takes place in the Graduate School of Health's education and research facility at UTS City campus.
Alongside the coursework, students participate in clinical placements, sourced by UTS, throughout the two-year program. Placements are offered in a variety of settings in Australia and may include the option of an approved international placement for interested students. Placements are supported by weekly reflective practice supervision. Students undertake research training to equip them with the skills to provide evidence-based care, talk with clients about research participation and findings and seek opportunities for higher degree research in the future.
The Master of Genetic Counselling at the University of Technology Sydney prepares graduates to work as competent, evidence-based genetic counsellors. Graduates are prepared to work in both the public and private system, and in new and emerging positions in laboratories, biotech companies, research and education.
Genetic counsellors have specialist knowledge in human genetics and genomics, counselling and health communication. With rapid developments in genetics and genomics, there is likely to be a range of new opportunities for genetic counsellors in the coming years. Career options include clinical roles in public and private settings, research, education, policy, and laboratory and biotech company genetic counselling roles.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Communication and Counselling
- Medical Genetics and Genomics in Practice
- Research Methods in Genetic Counselling
- Clinical and Community Placement
- Genetic Counselling
- Research Project
- Research Issues in Genetic Counselling
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesHuman Medicine Health Sciences Genetics View 166 other Masters in Human Medicine in Australia
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Applicants must have completed a UTS recognised bachelor's degree, or an equivalent or higher qualification, or submitted other evidence of general and professional qualifications that demonstrates potential to pursue graduate studies.
Applicants must have completed either:
- an undergraduate degree in a cognate discipline such as science, biomedical science, health science, social work, psychology, medicine, or related discipline, or
- an undergraduate degree in any discipline and documented relevant work experience including clear evidence of career development, professional writing, and professional achievement or practice comparable to that expected of undergraduate degree holders in cognate disciplines.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International55776 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1162 AUD per credit during 24 months.
- A small number of postgraduate courses offer government subsidised Commonwealth Supported Places (CSP).
Living costs for Sydney
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
- Australia Awards Scholarships (Australian Government Scholarships)
- Dr Chau Chak Wing Scholarship (KTP Master Degree)
- International Postgraduate Coursework Full Tuition Scholarship
- LATAM International Postgraduate Coursework Scholarship
- Postgraduate Academic Excellence Scholarship
- UTS 30th Anniversary Study Abroad Accommodation Scholarship
- UTS ATN-LATAM Scholarships
- UTS Grant for Masters by Coursework Students
- UTS Nepal Scholarship (Postgraduate Coursework)
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.