The Master of Applied Policy at the University of Technology Sydney has an applied focus, underpinned by contemporary policy making theories. It offers students the opportunity to critically apply their learning to real-world problems and build their understanding of policy formation, policy and program evaluation, and utilising evidence for influence and decision making.
To tailor their course, students can choose electives from a range of subjects across UTS.
The course utilises several teaching formats, including intensive block mode and online delivery, designed and delivered by academics, practitioners and industry leaders.
The course offers students the opportunity to work across industry sectors on real-world problems and to critically apply their learning to case studies drawn from UTS: IPPG's research program and their own workplaces to innovate solutions. It includes active approaches to learning, including debates, case studies, role plays, group discussions, presentations and guest speakers.
All students undertake an individual research project, and gain the necessary knowledge and experience to engage in effective policy development, implementation and evaluation. The course offers a general policy stream focusing on professional practice, as well as major streams in local government studies; urban and regional policy; and social research. The core subjects of the course examine contemporary policy challenges; policy in practice; foundations in public policy and evidence and influence in public policy. To tailor their course, students can choose their electives from a range of subjects from UTS: IPPG, the Faculty of Design, Architecture and Building, and the UTS Business School. The course also offers a sub-major in Project Management.
The course utilises several teaching formats, including intensive block mode and online delivery, designed by academics, practitioners and industry leaders. Most subjects are offered in flexible mode and delivered in blocks or online for more effective integration of study and work commitments.
Career options include public, not-for-profit or private sector agencies involved in policy, programs and service delivery.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Foundations in Public Policy
- Evidence and Influence in Public Policy
- Contemporary Policy Challenges
- Policy in Practice
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 18 months
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed, International
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesEnvironmental Economics & Policy Public Policy Political Science View 39 other Masters in Public Policy in Australia
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Applicants must have completed a UTS recognised bachelor's degree, or an equivalent or higher qualification, or submitted other evidence of general and professional qualifications that demonstrates potential to pursue graduate studies.
Applicants must have one of the following:
- a UTS recognised bachelor's degree, or equivalent or higher qualification, with at least credit average in a relevant field (policy studies, public administration, or social sciences in any relevant discipline)
- a UTS Graduate Certificate in Applied Policy at credit level or above
- a UTS Graduate Diploma in Applied Policy at credit level or above.
- a CV demonstrating relevant work experience
- a personal statement (max. 300 words) addressing their reasons for wanting to undertake the Master of Applied Policy.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International716 AUD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 716 AUD per credit and a duration of 18 months.
- Australia Awards Scholarships (Australian Government Scholarships)
- Dr Chau Chak Wing Scholarship (KTP Master Degree)
- International Postgraduate Coursework Full Tuition Scholarship
- LATAM International Postgraduate Coursework Scholarship
- Postgraduate Academic Excellence Scholarship
- UTS 30th Anniversary Study Abroad Accommodation Scholarship
- UTS ATN-LATAM Scholarships
- UTS Grant for Masters by Coursework Students
- UTS Nepal Scholarship (Postgraduate Coursework)
- UTS Study Abroad Excellence Scholarship
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Check for additional visa infoVisit official programme website
Check for any work restrictionsVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.