Applicants of the Language and Literacies Education program of University of Toronto are expecting to pursue a doctorate in the future. The MA program can be taken on a full-time or part-time basis.
The program investigates questions around the relationships of literacies in language and language in literacies across communities, societies, instructional environments, and informal learning settings. The scope of the program encompasses the following within applied linguistics and literacies studies:
- the learning, teaching, and use of first and additional (non-native) languages in diverse settings;
- curriculum, instruction, and assessment related to the development of first and additional language and K-12 literacy skills;
- the development of bilingual, multilingual, and translinguistic abilities;
- language and literacy education policies and planning;
- pedagogy oriented towards multiliteracies development, including early literacy and adolescent reading, writing, and oral language development, and
- children’s literature across the curriculum;
- social justice issues related to plurilingualism and cultural and linguistic diversity; and
- pedagogical implications of the fact that language and literacy are infused into all aspects of learning in contexts characterized by linguistic diversity.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Reading in a Second Language
- Assessing School-Aged Language Learners
- Foundations of Bilingual and Multicultural Education
- Research Colloquium in Language and Literacies Education
- Second Language Teaching Methodologies
- Methodology and Organization of Second-Language Teaching
- 36 months
- 72 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesEducation Language Studies Linguistics View 165 other Masters in Education in Canada
- Admission requires an appropriate bachelor's degree, with the equivalent of a University of Toronto mid-B or better in the final year, in a relevant discipline or professional program.
- Ordinarily, applicants should have teacher certification and at least one year of relevant successful professional experience prior to applying.
- All applicants must submit a resumé and a Statement of Intent describing their reasons for wishing to take the program, previous qualifications and professional experiences, particular research or professional interests, and future career goals.
International23770 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23770 CAD per year during 36 months.
National6210 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6210 CAD per year during 36 months.
- 1,863 CAD (domestic)
- 7,131 CAD (international)
Living costs for Toronto
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.