Nationally recognized, full-time faculty members will teach most of your courses, ensuring that you learn:
- Explicit techniques for teaching reading and writing skills to middle and high school students with varying levels of ability
- Methods for meeting the literacy needs within specific subject areas such as science, math, English, and social studies
- Supportive strategies for the literacy and language development of diverse learners at varying developmental stages, skill levels, and socio-cultural contexts
- A diagnostic-intervention protocol to guide all children's progress toward English Language Arts (ELA) standards
- Leadership skills for facilitating school literacy improvement as a literacy coach
- Specialized strategies for supporting students with literacy-associated difficulties
Careers and Outcomes
The Literacy Education, Grades 5 - 12, Professional Certification MA program from New York University is open to candidates who hold or are eligible for a provisional certificate in middle or secondary education or an initial certificate in either middle childhood or adolescence education. This degree leads to eligibility for the New York State Literacy Specialist Certificate.
Upon graduation, you’ll be prepared for a number of careers including:
- Classroom teacher or interventionist with specialized expertise teaching reading and writing in grades 5–12 in both public and private schools
- School literacy specialist or literacy coach, including as a part of the NYC DOE literacy specialist hiring initiative
- Literacy expert in clinical settings, including private tutoring, dyslexia intervention, and psycho-educational centers
- Editor or publisher of educational materials for literacy teaching and assessment
- First and Second Language Development: Building a Foundation for Literacy
- Literacy Assessment
- Reading Theory and Practices in Middle Childhood/Adolescence
- Writing Theory and Practices in Middle Childhood/Adolescence
- Policies and Politics of Literacy
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation Languages Literature View 4098 other Masters in Education in United States
- Applicants must hold or be eligible for initial teacher certification.
- We review all applications individually and holistically, but our expectation is that successful candidates for admission to any NYU Steinhardt MA program in teacher education will have a minimum 3.0 undergraduate grade point average.
- Special consideration may be granted to strong candidates with a GPA below 3.0.
International63478 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 63478 USD for the full programme during 12 months.
National63478 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 63478 USD for the full programme during 12 months.
Living costs for New York City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.