In the Educational Theatre, Grades K-12, and Social Studies Education, Grades 7-12, Initial Certification MA program from New York University you'll gain a foundation in social studies and drama, learn pedagogical methods and strategies, and acquire hands-on experience through fieldwork and student teaching.
You will work closely with a faculty advisor as you create a sequence of courses to reflect your interests and select classes in research, pedagogy, theatre art forms, and community-engaged approaches, ensuring that you learn:
- US and world history
- World drama
- Drama in education
- How to explore social issues through drama
- Interactive dramatic strategies in teaching and learning for exploring key ideas in primary source documents, historical concepts, periods, debates, and texts
Careers and Outcomes
- Graduates of our program are teachers of drama and theatre at preschools and elementary, middle, and secondary schools. They hold positions in education and theatre departments in museums, art galleries, colleges, and universities.
- You will graduate eligible for New York State initial certification as a teacher of theatre, all grades (K–12), and a teacher of social studies, grades 7–12. Learn more about teacher certification and our degree's accreditation.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- World Drama
- Drama in Education
- The Social Studies Curriculum: US History
- The Social Studies Curriculum: World History
- Exploring Social Issues through Drama
- Integration of Media and Technology
- Literacy Acquisition and Development
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation Sociology Theatre & Dance View 4013 other Masters in Education in United States
- 9 semester hours of acting, directing, and production
- 9 semester hours of dramatic literature
- 6 semester hours of theatre history
- 15 semester hours of history and geography of the US and the world
- 3 semester hours of economics
- 3 semester hours of government or political science
- 3 semester hours in the social sciences with the exception of psychology and philosophy
- 3 semester hours of a language other than English (American Sign Language is acceptable)
International87749 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 87749 USD for the full programme during 12 months.
National87749 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 87749 USD for the full programme during 12 months.
Living costs for New York City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.