This History of Art and Archaeology MA program at New York University is constituted as a broad learning experience supported by numerous opportunities for intellectual inquiry, guided by leading scholars and enhanced by access to New York area museums, curators and conservators, archaeological sites and NYU's global network.
The Institute’s MA in the History of Art and Archaeology is intended for students with a developed interest in the visual arts who wish to earn an advanced degree without the commitment to a multi-year doctoral program.
The program is two years of full-time study or three years of part-time study for those with established professional careers who wish to continue working while attending the Institute. For part-time study, each student devises a course of study together with the Director of Masters Studies; a typical course load for part-time students would be two courses per semester for the first two years, and one course per semester in the final year of study.
The MA degree will prove useful for students interested in careers in art museums, galleries, auction houses cultural centers, arts foundations, archaeological site management and development, art conservation, or eventual doctoral work in art history or archaeology.
- Pre-modern Asia
- Pre-modern Africa and the Middle East
- The Ancient Mediterranean and Middle East, Including Egypt
- Pre-modern Europe and the Americas
- Museum and Curatorial Studies
- Technical Studies of Works of Art
- Architectural History
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArchaeology History Art History View 774 other Masters in History in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Candidates for a degree from the Institute of Fine Arts should have an excellent background in the liberal arts, normally including at least four courses of undergraduate art history. A major in art history is not required.
- The GRE is required of all Institute applicants.
- Applicants will submit a focused, 2-4 page, double-spaced Statement of Academic Purpose. Applicants must also submit a CV.
- The Institute requires at least three letters of recommendation that speak to the applicant's research and writing skills.
- One art history writing sample is required.
International38560 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 77120 USD for the full programme during 24 months.
National38560 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 77120 USD for the full programme during 24 months.
Living costs for New York City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.