Students can concentrate in any one of these areas, compare and contrast between two or more areas, or take courses in all five of these areas.
The Africana Studies MA program offered at New York University prepares students interested in applying for PhD programs in history, literature, American studies, anthropology, communications, political science, sociology, economics and cinema studies, and for careers in education, cultural institutions, documentation, and public service.
The goals of the program include:
- Developing literacies in key research themes and topics on contemporary historical, ethnographic, cultural and political discourses in Africana studies.
- Improving writing proficiency and oral communication of ideas and cogent argumentation.
- Honing critical thinking and analytical skills.
- Preparing students for original research within interdisciplinary Africana Studies.
- The Commodity
- Finance, Race, And Gender In The Atlantic World
- Strategies In Social & Cultural Analysis
- Sca Pro-seminar: The Art Of Research
- Migration, Displacement, And Containment
- New Directions In Latinx Studies
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Ethnic Studies Languages View 779 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in United States
- All applicants to the Graduate School of Arts and Science (GSAS) are required to submit a complete application for admission.
- Statement of Academic Purpose
- TOEFL or IELTS
- Writing Sample
International62220 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2074 USD per credit during 12 months.
National62220 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2074 USD per credit during 12 months.
Living costs for New York City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.