Biosciences research has a huge impact on helping people live longer and healthier lives. With the World Economic Forum identifying healthcare as one of the top 10 Global Challenges for 2030, there is a growing demand for specialists in this field.
This Molecular Biosciences (Bioinformatics) course at University of Bath provides you with a broad understanding of the molecular basis of biological systems, with a focus on the increasingly crucial role bioinformatics plays in modern biosciences.
- Study at a Top 10 University, on a course designed in consultation with clinical and industrial partners to give you the skills employers are looking for.
- Develop extensive knowledge in your specialist area of bioinformatics, as well as a broad understanding of molecular biosciences.
- Gain extensive research experience by carrying out two separate research projects.
- Further strengthen your employability with a project addressing the challenges of global environment sustainability, applying skills related to either entrepreneurship, teaching, media and communication, or public engagement.
- Get support from your dedicated Personal Tutor who you can go to for academic and non-academic support.
Specialise in bioinformatics
Bioinformatics is an exciting and rapidly growing field in biology offering career opportunities at the interface of biological and computational sciences. This interdisciplinary field applies computational approaches to analyse large biological datasets generated by the revolutionary technological advances in the field, including Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) and omics-based technologies.
- You’ll learn to apply computational methods to answer biological questions ranging from bacterial epidemiology, healthy ageing and genomic medicine to evolution and conservation biology.
- You’ll work with researchers from our new Milner Centre for Evolution, supported by teaching staff in the Department of Computer Science.
- You'll have access to our bioinformatics sessions, enabling you to develop your scripting skills and study big data.
- You'll study some modules alongside data science students to ensure you are being taught the latest developments in computer science, and will also be able to participate in extra coding sessions to consolidate your learning.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
You will study:
- Advances in bioinformatics
- Broadening horizons
- Research project 1b
- Molecular phylogenetics and epidemiology
- Applied data science in biology
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , National
DisciplinesBiology Molecular Sciences Biochemistry View 211 other Masters in Biochemistry in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
You should have a first or strong second-class bachelor’s honours degree or international equivalent.
- To apply for this course, you should have an undergraduate degree in any biological, computational or mathematical subject, such as biosciences, medical, biomedical, life sciences, nutritional veterinary, biotechnology, pharmacy, phamacology or computer science.
- We may make an offer based on a lower grade if you can provide evidence of your suitability for the degree.
- If you first language is not English but within the last 2 years you completed your degree in the UK you may be exempt from our English language requirements.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International26700 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 26700 GBP per year during 12 months.
National11700 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11700 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Bath
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.