The Archaeology MA programme from Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam will immerse you in the material culture of Europe’s past from the Bronze Age until the Early Modern Period.
The programme has two specialisations with distinctive profiles: European Archaeology and Mediterranean Archaeology.
Theory meets practice
The Master's degree programme in Archaeology has a theoretical orientation but at the same time offers practice-oriented modules in which you will interpret field data and study archaeological materials. Students are seen as partners in research; in two Research Labs you will actually participate in the ongoing research of the staff. Separate modules are devoted to preparation for the job market in field archaeology and heritage management.
Archaeology in Amsterdam
This Master’s degree programme is offered jointly by two universities. The University of Amsterdam and VU Amsterdam have combined their expertise in the fields of Archaeology, Ancient History and Classics in the Amsterdam Centre for Ancient Studies and Archaeology (ACASA). This merging of specialisations creates a stimulating environment for collaboration and study and extends the options when it comes to the supervision of your Master’s thesis.
Students graduating with a Master’s degree in Archaeology can be employed in positions requiring in-depth knowledge of archaeology. They also find their way into other jobs requiring a range of academic skills. Examples of sectors in which students who have followed this programme have found positions include:
- commercial archaeological research
- local, national or international heritage management agencies
- the public presentation of archaeology
Promotion alumni sessions Master’s day
During the Master’s day, you can also meet our (international) alumni during several workshops. In these sessions they will tell you more about career opportunities after finishing your Master’s degree.
- Cutting Edge Archaeology: Human Mobility
- Historical Archaeology: Theories and Concepts
- Digital Archaeology: Modern Methodologies and Applications
- Archaeology, Heritage and Society: Professional and Contemporary Focus
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
The next VU Online Master's Event will take place on Saturday 5 March.
DisciplinesArchaeology History Ancient History View 15 other Masters in Archaeology in Netherlands
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
The programme is open for application to students with a Bachelor's degree from an accredited university in:
- Archaeology, or;
- Geo-archaeology, Ancient Studies, Anthropology, History (with demonstrable relationship to Ancient Studies), or a similar degree programme with a minimum of 30 ECTS (equivalent to a full-time semester of academic studies) taken in the field of Archaeology.
You will need:
- To create an enrollment application in Studielink (the Dutch national education application system
- Complete your application in Vuweb
- Pay the application fee (€100)
- Copy of your valid passport or ID
- Curriculum Vitae
- 1 or 2 Letters of recommendation
- Statement of Intent (Letter of Motivation)
- Diploma(s): A copy of the original Bachelor's degree or certificate.
- Transcript of records
- Thesis (or alternative piece of academic writing)
- A description of the relevant courses followed and literature used during your previous higher education
International15546 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15546 EUR per year during 12 months.
EU/EEA1084 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1084 EUR per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Amsterdam
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.