Structural biology allows you to understand how macromolecules work at the atomic level of detail. This is important particularly in designing drugs which act at the molecular level to affect macromolecules.
In the Structural Molecular Biology from Birkbeck, University of London , you will learn key experimental techniques in modern structural biology and methods for carrying out structural biology research.
- This innovative course is taught entirely using the internet. You study part-time in your own time, wherever you are in the world. Many of our students have full-time jobs or extensive family responsibilities.
- May be taken as a stand-alone certificate course or as part of our acclaimed internet-based MSc Structural Molecular Biology.
- Taught within the Department of Biological Sciences which, with University College London, is part of the leading research-based Institute of Structural and Molecular Biology. Several of the department’s world-class researchers contribute to the course.
- In the Research Excellence Framework (REF), in a joint submission with UCL, Biological Sciences at Birkbeck were ranked 11th in the UK, with a research environment supporting world-leading and internationally excellent research.
Careers and Employability
Graduates go on to careers in research, science writing, teaching, and academia. Possible professions include higher education lecturer, research scientist, or science writer. This degree can also be useful in various roles within the pharmaceutical industry, as well as in becoming a secondary school teacher.
We offer a comprehensive Careers and Employability Service to help you advance your career, while our in-house, professional recruitment consultancy, Birkbeck Talent, works with London’s top employers to help you gain work experience that fits in with your evening studies.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Macromolecular and Cellular Electron Microscopy
- Principles of Protein Structure
- Protein Bioinformatics
- Protein Crystallography
- Protein Expression, Purification and Biophysical Characterisation
- Protein Structure Determination
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesBiology Molecular Sciences Biochemistry View 16 other Masters in Biochemistry in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
A second-class honours degree (2:2) or above in science, computing or mathematics, or equivalent qualification, or relevant work experience.
- Applications are reviewed on their individual merits and your professional qualifications and/or relevant work experience will be taken into consideration positively. We actively support and encourage applications from mature learners.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International5340 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5340 GBP per year during 12 months.
National3320 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3320 GBP per year during 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.