- The East Asian Languages and Civilizations program of University of Pennsylvania is extremely valuable to students who plan to seek employment in East Asia. The program offers flexibility for students who desire to combine this degree with another Master of Arts at Penn or who would like to pursue the degree on a part-time basis. The Master's in EALC focuses on humanistic disciplines such as literature, philosophy, religion, art, and archaeology of East Asia, and often the more rigorous language requirements such as classical Chinese, Japanese, or Mongolian in addition to the modern languages.
- Students who are able to pass the language examination (in either Chinese, Japanese, Korean, or Mongolian) on admission and who are prepared to produce a research paper of superior quality in courses offered by the School of Arts and Sciences (SAS) may normally expect to receive their degrees in one year. Those unable to speak and read a modern East Asian language must expect to spend more than one year (probably two, with summer work) in the program.
- Beginning Tibetan
- Intermediate Tibetan
- Elementary Vietnamese
- Beginning Filipino
- Beginning Thai
- Elementary Mongolian
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Language Studies Linguistics View 699 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in United States
- Personal Statement/Statement of Purpose
- Three (3) Letter of Recommendation
- Copies of all college-level transcripts
- GRE scores
- English language proficiency test scores
- Writing Sample
International6988 USD/moduleTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6988 USD per module during 12 months.
National6988 USD/moduleTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6988 USD per module during 12 months.
- Tuition per 1 course
Living costs for Philadelphia
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.