School districts frequently award salary increases to teachers holding master’s degrees, and master’s degrees are usually required for part-time teaching at the community college or university level.
During the Secondary English Education program at California State University Northridge, students will:
- Experience and implement innovative English Language Arts teaching practices, especially drawing on reform methodology and curricula.
- Acquire greater fluency with educational technologies, including Internet resources, one-to-one technology implementation and digital communication.
- Investigate current research in English Language Arts teaching and learning and how it translates into practice.
- Conduct applied classroom-based research.
- Deepen their knowledge and understanding of broad issues, policies and controversies that impact schools in general and English Language Arts teaching in particular.
- Develop as leaders in English Language Arts education through presentations and participation in professional organizations and support networks.
Student Learning Outcomes
M.A. candidates are expected to develop as professional educators who demonstrate:
- Reflective practice by critically examining their English language arts knowledge English pedagogical content knowledge and best-practice pedagogical skills to improve their diverse students’ learning.
- Theoretical understanding by reading, synthesizing and evaluating theory and research in English language arts and in English pedagogies and applying research findings to their practice in diverse classroom and school settings.
- Research skills by designing and conducting research ethically and effectively and presenting their findings at a professional level in oral and written forms.
- Educational awareness of current national and state English language arts-based and general educational issues and how those impact schools.
- Leadership by influencing policy and practice in educational communities through advocacy and example.
- Research in Secondary Education
- Educational Issues and Implications for Multiethnic English and Literacy Classrooms
- Technology in the Secondary Reading/Language Arts Curriculum
- Theory and Research in the Teaching of Secondary School English
- The Program in Reading and Literature Instruction in Multiethnic Secondary Schools
- Issues in the Teaching of Composition and Language
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesSecondary Education View 289 other Masters in Secondary Education in United States
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
- Employment or experience as a teacher of English Language Arts or related field.
- Teaching credential (may be waived for private school teachers or college instructors).
- Submission of a completed department application.
- Submission of a completed application to CSUN via Cal State Apply.
- Cumulative undergraduate GPA of at least 2.5.
International14042 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14042 USD per year during 12 months.
National14042 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14042 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State8498 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8498 USD per year during 12 months.
Yearly tuition fee for seven or more units per semester.
Living costs for Los Angeles
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.