Following the 2008 financial crisis, there has been a heightened interest in management and British public policy and its influence on the economy and society. Reasons underpinning this interest include high profile failures in corporate governance; a growing need to demonstrate accountability, transparency and sustainability; and increasing political engagement and activism in relation to policy-making and holding political leaders to account.
This interdisciplinary MSc - involving Birkbeck’s internationally recognised Departments of Management, Politics, Economics and Geography - addresses these interests. The Governance, Economics and Public Policy programme from Birkbeck, University of London is also endorsed by the Progressive Economy Forum (PEF), and you will be invited to attend their public events and guest lectures.
If you work in an area of governance and public policy/politics, or if you wish to develop a career within it and/or are interested in better understanding and influencing governance and policy this programme is ideal. Birkbeck is one of the few institutions in London to offer a postgraduate qualification in this area.
Careers and Employability
raduates can pursue careers in local and national government, business, and industry. Possible professions include management consultant, political adviser, policy-maker, political leader or civil servant. This degree can also be useful in becoming a Civil Service fast streamer.
We offer a comprehensive Careers and Employability Service to help you advance your career, while our in-house, professional recruitment consultancy, Birkbeck Talent, works with London’s top employers to help you gain work experience that fits in with your evening studies.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Corporate Governance
- Economics: Theory, Policy and Institutions
- Public Management: Theories and Innovations
- Research Methods in Management (Postgraduate)
- Environment and Policy
- Environmental Economics
- The Dynamics of Global Capitalism: Theory and Practice
- Trust Social Norms and Institutions
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesEconomics Public Policy Political Science View 392 other Masters in Political Science in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- Our standard postgraduate entry requirement is a second-class honours degree (2:2 or above) from a UK university, or an equivalent international qualification.
- We will review every postgraduate application to Birkbeck on its individual merits and your professional qualifications and/or relevant work experience will be taken into consideration positively. We actively support and encourage applications from mature learners.
- On your application form, please list all your relevant qualifications and experience, including those you expect to achieve.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International9210 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9210 GBP per year and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEA5970 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 5970 GBP per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Check for additional visa infoVisit official programme website
Check for any work restrictionsVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.