The Reading Education MA program offered at University of South Florida is designed to prepare special reading teachers, clinicians, supervisors, directors, and coordinators of reading for school systems, as well as non-educational contexts. The MA in Reading Education includes spiraled competencies in Digital/Media Literacies as well Disciplinary Literacies and Global Literacies in its coursework.
Features of the program
- Expanding Knowledge of Global Literacies
Developing students’ global understanding of literacy as a tool for communication is essential to lifelong learning. We consider multiple perspectives; embrace diversity, equity, and advocacy; and make informed, evidence-based decisions as we engage students in professional learning.
- Exploring Disciplinary Literacy Practices
Disciplinary literacies and instructional practices are used when reading complex texts. We address the development of academic knowledge and the use of academic vocabulary across disciplines through customized literacy strategies.
- Developing Critical Literacy Pedagogies
Developing critical literacy pedagogies requires literate consumers and producers. We adopt critical and questioning approaches to reading and composing texts.
- Advancing Media Literacy Competencies
Expertise in literacy leadership is developed in a spiraled approach. We embed media literacy in each course and students develop competencies by applying various tools, engaging in video production and analysis, participating in synchronous and asynchronous facilitation, and using social networking and educational gaming as a learning tool.
- Developing Literacy Coaching Skills
Professional development of coaching skills includes specific content, demonstrations, assignments, and activities that are relevant to school and out of school settings. Course objectives and instructional strategies support the development of leadership excellence in literacy coaching for public, private, and online school systems as well as for educational initiatives in business and industry.
- Offering a Completely Online Instructional Experience
The Literacy Studies faculty are innovative leaders in online instructional practices. We advance students’ knowledge of literacy within the digital age while using adaptable digital pedagogies and embodied literacy learning in online courses.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Educational Research
- Literature for a Diverse Society
- Supervision and Coaching in Literacy
- Literacy and Technology
- Assessment in Developing Literacies
- Cognition, Comprehension, and Content Area Reading: Remediation of Reading
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation Educational Research Literature View 1225 other Masters in Education in United States
- Have an earned, valid teaching certificate for Plan II or be eligible for professional certification through the completion of a Bachelor’s degree in Education or Enroll in the Plan III MA in Reading which focuses on non-school literacies and does not grant Reading Certification
- Minimum grade point average (GPA) of at least 3.00 (on a 4.00 scale)
- English language proficiency
- A current resume that outlines previous education and relevant literacy K-12 teaching/mentoring experience;
- A statement of purpose that outlines literacy leadership/teaching experience (and K-12 experience for applicants with initial certification) and a rationale for seeking a Masters of Arts degree in Reading Education;
- Two letters of recommendation from individuals who can attest to professional work experience, work ethic, and academic abilities.
International15864 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15864 USD per year during 12 months.
National15864 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15864 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State7840 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7840 USD per year during 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.