The Translation Studies program of the Hamad Bin Khalifa University is designed to train highly skilled translators in the areas of business and commerce, science and technology, literary translation, legal and medical translation, and translation of media texts, as well as translation for international organizations.
The acquisition of practical translation competence is complemented by advanced training in the use of translation technology and work placement experience. A theoretical component encourages sophisticated intellectual inquiry, thus equipping students with a sound foundation for professional work and doctoral study in the field of translation studies.
Graduates of the program are equipped to:
- Work as in-house translators in various sectors, including media, industry, tourism, advertising, insurance, banking, and public administration, as well as for international organizations (e.g. United Nations agencies).
- Specialize as editors, revisers, terminologists, or translation project managers.
- Start their own businesses or take a competitive examination to become sworn (certified) translators working for the courts of justice in Qatar.
- Pursue careers in translation or opt for advanced research at the PhD level.
- Students are taught by faculty members of CHSS, who are leading scholars and researchers in their fields, and by distinguished visiting professors and experts working in the field of translation.
- Students are introduced to professional experience through an internship at TII’s Translation and Training Center or with external partners, such as companies or ministries. Further insights are provided by professional translators’ contribution to practical courses.
- The program is benchmarked against the highest international standards.
- 24 months
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Translation & Interpreting Linguistics
- A a bachelorʼs degree in a relevant field with a strong academic record (minimum 3.0 GPA out of 4) from a recognized university
- Submit an IELTS score of 6.5 or a TOEFL score of 79 in order to demonstrate your proficiency in English
- Strong language proficiency in Arabic. Applicants will be assessed on their Arabic language skills during the admissions interview and through a written assessment
- Official electronic copies of transcripts and graduation statements should be submitted as part of the online application
- Applicants should submit two letters of recommendation
- Applicants should submit a personal statement as part of the online application
- Applicants should submit a copy of their current resume or curriculum vitae
- All applicants should submit an electronic copy of their passport as part of the online application
International10300 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 20600 USD for the full programme during 24 months.
National10300 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 20600 USD for the full programme during 24 months.
- QAR 75,000 per full
Living costs for Ar Rayyan
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.