Visits to industry allow you to see the processes involved in the innovation and commercialisation of novel products. This covers food, biopharmaceuticals and biofuels.
With Biotechnology at University of Nottingham you can specialise in plant, microbial or animal biotechnology:
- Plant pathway - provides the theory and practical skills in plant genetic manipulation, plant breeding and genome research.
- Microbial pathway - study gene expression and metabolic engineering of micro-organisms. You'll gain theory and practical skills of the use of these as production platforms for therapeutics and biofuels.
- Animal pathway – gain specialist knowledge and practical skills in reproductive biotechnologies to stem cell therapies.
Previous graduates have taken up roles with Lonza, AstraZeneca, Ipsen and Biogenuix Medsystems, India. Others have pursued research careers with Oxford and Cambridge University, and the BBSRC DTP PhD studentship.
- Basic Laboratory Techniques
- Advanced Molecular Methods in Biotechnology
- Cell Factories
- Postgraduate Research Project
- Technology Entrepreneurship
- Professional Skills for Biotechnologists
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , National
DisciplinesBiology Electronics & Embedded Technology Biotechnology View 130 other Masters in Biotechnology in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- 2:2 (or international equivalent) in biotechnology, plant sciences, animal sciences, microbiology, genetics or veterinary medicine
- IELTS: 6.0 with at least 5.5 in each element
International28000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 28000 GBP per year during 12 months.
National11050 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11050 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Nottingham
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.