The curriculum of at English and American Studies Friedrich Schiller University Jena allows students a great deal of flexibility; they can choose to study the field in a broad, all-encompassing manner, or they may specialize in either linguistics or literature and cultural studies. Emphasis is placed on demanding language courses for practical purposes, which means students must have an excellent command of English before they begin the programme.
A number of cooperation agreements with other departments, including those of German Linguistics and German Literature as well as the departments of History and Geography, enrich the course offering in the fields of literature and cultural studies.
Moreover, students in the English and American Studies programme may opt for an interdisciplinary specialisation on Language and Cognition, offered in cooperation with the Department of German Literature and the Department of German as a Foreign and Second Language and Intercultural Studies.
- After graduation, students will be qualified for high-level positions at the crossroads between business, culture, and the public sector as well as in fields of work requiring outstanding language and communication skills and intercultural experience.
- This may include multinational corporations, libraries, archives, digital media, and publishing houses. In addition, graduates may choose to pursue a PhD in the humanities or cultural studies.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The module deals with the interrelationship between literary works and their cultural environment.
- Students will get to know methods and specific cultural contexts, which will enable them to investigate the interplay of literary and cultural discourses through the lens of cultural studies. In order to deepen the students’ understanding of this interrelationship, we will discuss literary works from Great Britain and North America (possibly also Ireland and the New English Literatures).
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Linguistics View 37 other Masters in Linguistics in Germany
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Registration form
- Motivational letter
- University entrance qualification certificate
- Previous university degrees earned
- Detailed transcript of records
- Proof of relevant work experience
- Proof of subject-specific practical experience
- Proof of language proficiency
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per semester during 24 months.
NationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per semester during 24 months.
- Semester contribution € 256
Living costs for Jena
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.