In the post genomic era, physiology has acquired a new importance as a discipline which provides a valuable link between basic and translational research. Within the Biomedical Imaging and Biosensing programme from University of Liverpool we have recognised expertise in all aspects of modern physiology ranging from the regulation of gene expression to cell, tissue and whole organism biology. Each focused area of expertise is related to a complementary area of clinical research and/or drug development.
The Centre for Pre-clinical imaging provides expertise and infrastructure for non-invasive imaging in pre-clinical models. The technologies available for pre-clinical imaging currently at the Centre include high-field magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), optical imaging, photo-acoustic imaging and ultrasound.
Novel applications and contrast mechanisms are constantly being developed that will aid the further development and refinement of regenerative medicine therapies, and facilitate areas such as developmental biology, neurobiology, physiology, pharmacology and cancer.
The research infrastructure of the Institute of Translational Medicine is designed to give researchers access to world class facilities in the best possible environment.
Our centres, facilities and resources give us the ability to drive biomedical research from patient samples to the laboratory bench and vice versa from newly generated drug compounds into clinical trials. They provide powerful, productive collaborations between experts within the University and organisations worldwide.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureResearch areas specifically focus on:
- Monitoring organ structure and function in health and disease, including the kidney, liver, neuro/CNS, and imaging cancer
- Tracking cells labelled with contrast agents such as Superparamagnetic Iron Oxide Nanoparticles (SPIONs), e.g. stem cell tracking
- Application of magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) to assess electrical conductivity of body tissues
- Developing strategies for evaluating the safety and efficacy of regenerative medicine therapies
- Utility of diffusion weighted imaging and spectroscopy to assess response to gene therapy, e.g. for brain tumours and for detection of apoptotic cell death in vivo
- Studying models of memory disorders, schizophrenia and autism.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
Applications are open all year round.
DisciplinesBiomedicine Physiotherapy Bioinformatics & Biostatistics View 161 other Masters in Bioinformatics & Biostatistics in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Starting from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of Liverpool and/or in United Kingdom, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Applications are welcomed from well qualified graduates who would typically hold a UK first degree or equivalent in the first or 2:1 class, or a 2:2 class degree plus a Masters degree, in a relevant subject.
- Applicants for postgraduate research study at Liverpool are normally expected to hold a UK first degree with a First Class or Upper Second Class degree classification, or a Second Class degree plus a Master’s degree.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International20400 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 20400 GBP per year during 24 months.
National4596 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4596 GBP per year during 24 months.
- EU/International students lab based £25,950
- National- £2,298
- EU/International- £12,975 (lab based ) £10,200 (non Lab based )
Living costs for Liverpool
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.