- Increase your awareness and knowledge of relevant areas of applied linguistics research and theory
- Help you to apply relevant applied linguistics research and theory to the practicalities of language teaching
- Assist you in developing a deeper understanding of language, current classroom methodology, second language acquisition and how they relate to teaching in general and specific areas such as materials design
- Increase your awareness and knowledge of the latest approaches to language analysis, and of their potential for application to language teaching.
Normally you’ll need a first degree and relevant professional experience (a minimum of one year full time) before applying for this programme.
The independence of study, clarity of expression and management of time demanded by all our taught programmes equip the successful graduate with the skills and knowledge base required for further academic study and research in English and other areas.
However, many graduates choose to enter careers such as teaching, publishing and journalism, or to work in the business sector, often in human resources, administration, marketing or sales.
Successful alumni have gone on to teach English at elementary, secondary and tertiary levels in schools around the globe. A significant number of MA graduates have also continued their studies to PhD level.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Discourse Analysis
- Methods of English Language Teaching
- Second Language Acquisition
- Research Skills
- Lexis and Vocabulary Teaching
- Applied Linguistics Dissertation
- Testing and Assessment of Language Performance
- Functional Grammar
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
There are no strict application deadlines but applicants are encouraged to apply in good time, particularly if they require visas or have special requirements.
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages Linguistics View 380 other Masters in Linguistics in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- Applicants should have a UK 2:1 first degree, usually in English, Linguistics or Education, but candidates who have studied other subjects may be considered.
- A minimum of 12 months teaching experience is required for this programme. If applicants do not have teaching experience they should apply for the MA in TESOL.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International19000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19000 GBP per year during 12 months.
National8700 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8700 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Liverpool
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.