The Italian program of San Francisco State University emphasizes Italianistica (Italian Studies), and individual authors from the Middle Ages to the present. The history of Italian literature is taught through linguistic and thematic development in relation to larger European and extra-European contexts. Close textual analyses that includes the study of stylistics, rhetoric, semantics, and syntax are a part of graduate seminars, but courses naturally provide useful background knowledge related to topics in art, history, music, and philosophy.
The M.A. program requires students to deepen their knowledge of genres and literary periods, which they undertake in courses taught in Italian. This fact enables them to reach superior language competency in spoken and written Italian. Many of our graduates teach in secondary schools and community colleges or continue their studies for the Ph.D.
Many students study Italian to become language teachers. Others, studying music, art, film, archaeology, international relations, history, business, and comparative literature, as well as students planning to become translators and interpreters have discovered the usefulness of Italian.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The Italian Theatre
- Italian Women Writers: 13th to 20th Centuries
- Divina Commedia
- Great Figures in Italian Literature
- Italian Literature on Film in English
- Seminar: Italian Literature of the 19th Century
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Literature View 904 other Masters in Language Studies in United States
- Two letters of recommendation;
- An analytical Statement of Purpose in English of approximately 500 words, which should be accompanied by
- A second version written in Italian; (the two Statements of Purpose are required for admission to show proficiency in writing at the graduate level);
- Official proof of the applicant’s score on the GRE (Graduate Record Examination).
- English language proficiency (international students)
International8704 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 8704 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
National8704 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 8704 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.