About this Degree
It challenges mainstream approaches to development, focusing on strategic pathways to address socio-environmental injustices and enhancing collective capacities to act.
Adopting an action-oriented perspective, the programme explores the capacity for planning and policy making to address urban environmental challenges in the Global South. It displays a commitment to situated action and institutional development as key strategies to achieve just sustainable development.
The Environment and Sustainable Development programme from University College London (UCL) provides opportunities to interact with leading thinkers in development planning and for participants to join a community of practice with an international network of researchers and practitioners.
Participants are equipped with interdisciplinary and transferable skills to address complex global challenges in urban regions while being sensitive to local contexts and remaining flexible in fast changing realities.
- The Political Ecology of Environmental Change
- Urban Environmental Planning and Management in Development
- Environment and Sustainable Development in Practice
- Adapting Cities to Climate Change in the Global South
- Disaster Risk Reduction in Cities
- NGOs and Social Transformation
- Food and the City
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- We recommend you apply as soon as possible. The programme may remain open if places are still available and will be closed as soon as it is full or by 30 June.
DisciplinesSustainable Development Environmental Management Environmental Sciences View 326 other Masters in Environmental Sciences in United Kingdom
- The normal minimum qualifications are an upper second-class Bachelor's degree in a relevant subject from a UK university or an overseas qualification of an equivalent standard; and a demonstrated interest in the subject matter of the programme.
- A minimum of six months work experience is also recommended.
- Candidates who do not meet the above requirements may be considered if they are able to demonstrate substantial relevant senior-level professional experience and an ability to engage academically with the subject matter of the programme.
International26600 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 26600 GBP per year during 12 months.
National16500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16500 GBP per year during 12 months.
- UK: £8,250
- International: £13,300
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.