The Master's programme in Transatlantic Studies focuses on the process of exchange between North America and Europe in order to understand the role of US cultural, geopolitical and economic power and the interaction with partners across the Atlantic. This programme takes a multidisciplinary approach allowing you to focus on a topic that you are interested in.
The program is firmly grounded in American studies including cultural and political history, international relations, and political science to critically map, investigate, and evaluate transatlantic relations at the intersection of politics, history, and culture, including literature, visual media and music.
This will help you to understand the forces of globalisation, transnationalism and cultural transfer, as they are at work, for instance, in current debates about intercultural confrontations, mass media, migration, populist politics, environmental issues as well as the future of US power and culture.
This programme is closely connected to the research institute Historical, Literary and Cultural Studies. Here you will work with and learn from experts in the field.
What will you learn?
Gain knowledge about Transatlantic relationships, and their impact on the world from different disciplines
Get valuable experience in designing and conducting research
- Take advantage of Radboud's international network to build your working experience through an international internship
The above knowledge and skills, together with an excellent command of (American) English, will help you find a job in an international setting. This specialisation will help you find work in a number of different areas:
- International affairs and diplomacy
- Consultancy for businesses, NGOs and governmental organizations
- Culture and heritage institutions
- Media and journalism
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Transatlantic: Theories & Practices
- Grounding Transatlantic and Transnational American Studies
- Electives or (international) internship
- Master’s thesis Colloquium and Workshops
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- Apply before , International
- 1 April: Final deadline
- 1 July: Final deadline
DisciplinesInternational Relations American Studies Political Science View 5 other Masters in American Studies in Netherlands
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Your admission into this programme depends on your previous education. You are admissible if you have a completed Bachelor's degree in American Studies or related area. Your degree has to be equivalent to a Dutch research university diploma. The Admission Office will determine if an international student has the required knowledge to be admitted.
- Proficiency in English
- Due to the COVID-19 outbreak which has led to the temporary closure of test centres, Radboud University currently also accepts the iBT TOEFL Special Home Edition. For all other questions regarding the coronavirus please visit our FAQ.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International16000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16000 EUR for the full programme during 12 months.
EU/EEA2209 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2209 EUR for the full programme during 12 months.
Living costs for Nijmegen
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
We have a number of scholarships available only for international Master’s students. You can find the full list, including details about eligibility requirements and how to apply, on the university's website
- Please do note, that most of these scholarships are not fully funded. The Radboud Scholarship Programme (RSP) is the only scholarship that offers both fully and partially funded scholarships.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.