Security and privacy are fundamental concepts in the digital age. Real world implications and applications are everywhere around us: the browser you use to shop over the Internet, the mobile phone you hold conversations over, the bank card in your wallet, the way you travel, the car keys in your pocket, to casting electronic votes.
Information Technology - Information Security from Tampere University research spans from theoretical to applied aspects of security and privacy, and everywhere in between. Our research appears in globally top ranked venues such as IEEE Symposium on Security and Privacy, ACM Conference on Computer and Communications Security, and USENIX Security Symposium, to name a few – major recruiting outlets for both industry and academia.
Information security professionals work in every size company and industry to protect organizations from data breaches and attacks. By studying our programme, students get the necessary skills allowing them to follow a wide range of career paths such as:
- Researcher in Applied Cryptography;
- Researcher in Network / Computer Security;
- IT Security Engineer / Operations Specialist;
- Product Security Engineer;
- Penetration Tester / White Hat Hacker / Ethical Hacker;
- Source Code Auditor;
- Vulnerability Assessor;
- Computer Security Incident Responder;
- Information Security Analyst / Consultant / Assurance Officer / Assurance Analyst / Risk Officer;
- Cyber Security Manager;
- Security Officer;
- Computer Forensics Analyst;
- Anti-Piracy / Content Protection Analyst.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- All students will take the core courses designed to give a comprehensive introduction into this specialist field by covering the fundamentals of information security and privacy – especially why the latter is so difficult to achieve in practice.
- Subsequently, students will have the opportunity to take several courses related to cryptography, network security, software security, access and identity management.
- During these courses, students will not only learn how to protect a system from certain attacks but also how to find new ones – analyze the security of a system. Hence, by the end of the programme, students will learn to think in both rational and irrational ways – a fundamental property in the area of information security.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesElectronics & Embedded Technology General Engineering & Technology Cyber Security View 59 other Masters in General Engineering & Technology in Finland
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Bachelor’s degree - nationally recognized first cycle degree*
- which corresponds to at least 180 ECTS (European credits) or to three years of full-time study
- from a relevant field for the Master’s degree programme that you’re applying to
- from an recognised institution of higher education
- The Bachelor’s degree completed in a university outside Finland must provide eligibility for university-level master’s degree studies in the country in which it was awarded.
AND a good command of the English language for academic purposes.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International12000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12000 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Tampere
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.