In the HTI studies, you will get up-to-date know how on digital service design, user experience evaluation, user psychology, human-centered software development, usability engineering, multimodal human-computer interaction and research skills.
From technological viewpoint, the studies cover the design and development of user interfaces for mobile and desktop applications, virtual reality, augmented reality, industrial machinery and human-robot interaction. HTI is a multi-disciplinary field and you will work with the professionals from several areas with different perspectives. Please see additional information on Human-Centered Technology (IHTE).
In a broader sense, you will learn how technology affects people’s lives and how to design efficient, engaging and ethical digital products and services. The Human-Technology Interaction, Computing Sciences programme from Tampere University leads you to hands-on work in various course projects, as well as provides basics for scientific thinking and writing.
There are many job opportunities to choose from after graduation. The career prospects are excellent, and human-technology interaction specialists are highly appreciated by industry.
Some of the possible future careers include, for example:
- Designer who envisions, shapes and creates sustainable design solutions for user interfaces and information systems in general – typical job titles include service designer, UX designer, interaction designer and UI designer
- User researcher who studies people and their use of technology in various environments and contexts of use, informing the design and development of new technological solutions as well as academic research in the field of human-computer interaction
- User interface developer who has the skills to implement advanced front-end software solutions
- Usability and user experience specialist who makes sure that the designs are easy to use and fit human purposes and requirements
- Product manager with emphasis on user needs and user experience.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
After completing the studies – regardless of the orientation that you followed – you will master the main theories and practices related to user experience of interactive products and services. You are able to account for the user needs and characteristics in human-technology interaction.
The studies offer skills to design, prototype, implement and evaluate interactive systems according to human-centered design principles and processes.
Graduates are also able to apply different user interface styles and interaction techniques to different application domains, including mobile computing and novel computing paradigms such as Virtual Reality and interactive robots.
Graduates have basic research skills in HTI and are eligible to apply to doctoral studies.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesGeneral Engineering & Technology Computer Sciences Human Computer Interaction View 41 other Masters in Computer Sciences in Finland
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A copy of your original Bachelor’s degree certificate and transcript of records
- If the original documents are issued in some other language than English, Finnish or Swedish, please also attach official translations of the documents.
- You will not have to attach a transcript listing the courses you have completed at our Open University to your application. We will verify that you have completed the required courses through our electronic student records system.
- You might be required to attach a document that demonstrates that you may be exempted from paying the tuition fees. Should you be considered a fee-paying student, you will also be asked whether you wish to apply for a scholarship offered within the Tampere University Scholarships Programme and further instructed on the attachments required for the application.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International12000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12000 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Tampere
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.