Would you like to know whether it is possible to produce bio-polymers (plastics) and biofuels from municipal or agricultural waste? If you are thinking of a career in the pharma or biotech industries, the Biochemical Engineering MSc could be the right programme for you.
The Biochemical Engineering MSc programme offered at the University College London (UCL) focuses on the core biochemical engineering principles that enable the translation of advances in the life sciences into real processes or products.
Students will develop advanced engineering skills (such as bioprocess design, bioreactor engineering, downstream processing), state-of-the-art life science techniques (such as molecular biology, vaccine development, microfluidics) and essential business and regulatory knowledge (such as management, quality control, commercialisation).
The rapid advancements in biology and the life sciences create a need for highly trained, multidisciplinary graduates possessing technical skills and fundamental understanding of both the biological and engineering aspects relevant to modern industrial bioprocesses.
Consequently, UCL biochemical engineers are in high demand, due to their breadth of expertise, numerical ability and problem-solving skills. The first destinations of those who graduate from the Master's programme in biochemical engineering reflect the highly relevant nature of the training delivered.
Chemical Engineers (IChemE)
- The programme is delivered through a combination of lectures, tutorials, and individual and group activities.
- Guest lectures delivered by industrialists provide a professional and social context.
- Assessment is through unseen written examinations, coursework, individual and group project reports, individual and group oral presentations, and the research or design project.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- We recommend you apply as soon as possible. The programme may remain open if places are still available and will be closed as soon as it is full or by 30 June.
DisciplinesBio & Biomedical Engineering View 119 other Masters in Bio & Biomedical Engineering in United Kingdom
- Normal entry requirements are at least a second-class Bachelor's degree from a UK university or the equivalent from an approved overseas institution. Candidates offering recent industrial experience are also encouraged to apply.
- As with any engineering discipline numeracy skills are important for the quantitative description of biological and physical phenomena.
- Evidence of numerical ability is requested as either an A level in Mathematics (or in exceptional cases, in Physics) or some mathematics studied at university.
- The department provides mathematics tutoring for Master's students throughout the year adjusted to a candidate's ability.
International32100 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 32100 GBP per year during 12 months.
National16500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16500 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.