This Autism programme at Northumbria University offers motivated, passionate people working in the field of autism the opportunity to study for a specialist qualification that will accelerate and focus their contribution towards better lives for people with ASD.
You will learn from leaders in the field of autism. In addition to the highly respected staff based at Northumbria, you will have contact with a cohort of visiting lecturers with key specialisms including aging and autism, the biochemistry of autism, and anxiety and anger management.
Northumbria University is the largest North East provider of CPD in Education, and Ofsted has rated our department ‘outstanding’ for the past 14 years. We are the only university in the UK to have held this accolade for so long.
- Most students who enrol on the Autism MA are currently employed, and seeking to enhance career opportunities through a specialist knowledge of autism. There is significant evidence that this course will give your career an edge.
- Assessments throughout the course offer you opportunities to consider, discuss, analyse and evaluate your practice in relation to theoretical concepts and ideas. This process facilitates critical reflection on work related problems and how they might be resolved.
- The skills that are required in such assessments reflect many of the component features of employability, such as independent learning, team working, communication, analysis, critical reflection and self-awareness.
- These advanced skills are valued in many fields including teaching, speech therapy, occupational therapy, nursing and social services.
- Understanding Autism
- Autism - Analysing Issues in Teaching & Learning
- Research Methods in Education and Training
- Autism: Social Behaviour and Promoting Learning
- Preparation for Project Management
- The Empirical Project
- Systematic Appraisal in Education and Training
- Work Based Dissertation
- 28 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , National
National students are advised to apply early to secure your place and organise any sponsorship or funding.
DisciplinesCommunication Studies Psychology Special Education View 843 other Masters in Psychology in United Kingdom
- A minimum of a 2:2 honours degree or a masters degree in a relevant subject area, or a relevant professional qualification.
- International applicants are required to have a minimum overall IELTS (Academic) score of 6.5 with 6 in each component (or approved equivalent*).
International16500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16500 GBP per year during 28 months.
National7950 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7950 GBP per year during 28 months.
Living costs for Newcastle upon Tyne
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.