The European Criminal Justice in a Global Context programme at Utrecht University is an opportunity to dive deeper into this stimulating area of debate. A debate which is at the core of any criminal justice system.It deepens your knowledge on EU criminal law. It analyses the interactions with the criminal justice systems of other EU Member States or third countries under new, innovative forms of enforcement cooperation. It examines the relationships of national criminal justice with the sharply increasing number of EU enforcement agencies, like the European Central Bank. This unique and innovative programme provides an inspiring intellectual challenge, as well as the platform for a rewarding legal career at a national, European or international level.
Career opportunitiesThere is a growing demand, both in the governmental and wider public sector as well as private practice, for talented law graduates who are capable of looking beyond the boundaries of national criminal law and policy. The unique knowledge and skillset developed through the LLM in European Criminal Justice programme creates a path for graduates to work in diverse and wide-ranging areas of law and/or administration. You could find yourself working in legal practice at a national or European level, or in a wider international context.
Accredited by the NVAO
- The Area of Freedom, Security and Justice;
- Supranational Criminal Law Enforcement;
- Indirect Enforcement of EU Law;
- Transnational Criminal Law Enforcement
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- Apply before , National
DisciplinesEuropean Law Criminal Law Criminal Justice View 3 other Masters in Criminal Justice in Netherlands
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Utrecht University and/or in Netherlands, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Eligible are graduates in law, this includes everyone who has completed the basic university curriculum in law, and has been awarded a law degree in their home country without necessarily having taken subsequent state or professional examinations which would allow them to practice law or be admitted to the Bar.
- Eligible are students with a Liberal Arts Bachelor’s degree with a good basic knowledge of law. This requirement is fulfilled by students who have completed at least 45 EC on law courses at an undergraduate or graduate level, including courses on criminal law and European Union law.
International17500 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 17500 EUR per year during 12 months.
EU/EEA2209 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2209 EUR per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Utrecht
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.