The Utrecht University LLM in European Criminal Justice in a Global Context is an opportunity to dive deeper into this stimulating area of debate. A debate which is at the core of any criminal justice system.
It deepens your knowledge on EU criminal law. It analyses the interactions with the criminal justice systems of other EU Member States or third countries (such as the United States) under new, innovative forms of enforcement cooperation.
Content of the Programme
The LLM in European Criminal Justice in a Global Context focuses on:
- The constitutional foundations for criminal justice in a Europeanised setting, including the fundamental rights dimension and the harmonisation of defence rights and safeguards;
- The effects and impact of EU law on domestic criminal justice and its relationships with administrative law enforcement in such areas as anti-money laundering, financial fraud and other serious cross-border offences;
- The different legal regimes for transnational enforcement cooperation and exchange of information, including the European Arrest Warrant and European Investigation Order;
- The relationships between national criminal justice and EU authorities such as Eurojust and the European Public Prosecutor’s Office;
- The relationship between European criminal justice and its global context (external dimension).
The European Criminal Justice in a Global Context programme at Utrecht University aims to facilitate the connection between you and the job market, in particular through:
- Visiting relevant institutions, such as the European Commission and Parliament, the European Court of Justice, Eurojust, Europol and OLAF. The strong reputation and contract network of Utrecht University means students are regularly offered places on highly sought-after internships with these organisations;
- Inviting alumni to take part in various activities on campus, including informative presentations about their current employer and working environment, and/or social and networking events, such as the annual career event;
- Arranging internships.
Accredited by the NVAO
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The constitutional foundation of the Area of Freedom, Security and Justice
- Indirect enforcement of EU Law
- Transnational enforcement of criminal law
- Supranational criminal law enforcement
- Combatting terrorism
- Combatting market abuse
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- Apply before , National
DisciplinesEuropean Law International Law Criminal Law View 11 other Masters in Criminal Law in Netherlands
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Eligible are graduates in law, this includes everyone who has completed the basic university curriculum in law, and has been awarded a law degree in their home country without necessarily having taken subsequent state or professional examinations which would allow them to practice law or be admitted to the Bar.
- Eligible are students with a Liberal Arts Bachelor’s degree with a good basic knowledge of law. This requirement is fulfilled by students who have completed at least 45 EC on law courses at an undergraduate or graduate level, including courses on criminal law and European Union law.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International17280 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 17280 EUR per year during 12 months.
EU/EEA2168 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2168 EUR per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Utrecht
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.