Why study with us?
- Access our industry-leading cyber security labs – our System Security Lab, Smart Network Infrastructure Security Lab and Malware Lab each offer a range of advanced technologies and are setup to ensure each student has access to virtual machines to provide an isolated and secure environment to learn in. Our labs use advanced VMware based virtualisation technology, can be used to run cyber hackathons and develop real-world applications in a safe and controlled environment.
- Place yourself at the forefront of a growth industry – there is currently a major shortage of cyber security workers, with leading independent and not-for-profit organisation AustCyber estimating that Australia could need almost 18,000 additional cyber security workers by 2026*
- Learn from global leaders in the field – the Cyber Security program design from University of Newcastle was led by the University’s Global Innovation Chair in Cyber Security, Professor Vijay Varadharajan, with substantial contribution from academic and industry partners.
- Enhance your career opportunities – this degree was created specifically to address the needs and demands of both individuals and industry. Develop analytical skills and cryptographic techniques that are essential to organisations looking to employ secure network protocols.
- Project-based learning- students have the opportunity to carry out a 2 semester (1 year) practical project in Cyber Security, done via WIL and placement or in collaboration with industry. This is particularly important for students to gain industrial experience in cyber security, which is highly valuable for their careers.
Career options may include:
- security system manager
- security consultant
- IT security engineer
- security system developer
- security analyst
- project manager
- Data Security
- System and Network Security
- Security Attacks: Analysis and Mitigation Strategies
- Security Standards and Practices in Industry
- Engineering Complexity
- 24 months
- 72 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , International
It is recommended you submit your application a minimum of 12 weeks before your intended semester or trimester start date. Late applications may be considered for next available intake.
DisciplinesComputer Sciences IT Security Cyber Security View 139 other Masters in Computer Sciences in Australia
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- CRICOS code: 0100135
- The Master of Cyber Security is a 160 unit postgraduate qualification.
- 160 units (2 years): Bachelor Degree or higher in any discipline AND minimum 1 year relevant work experience. Applicants with relevant professional experience may be considered for up to 40 units of RPL (Recognition of Prior Learning).
- 80 units (1 year): Bachelor Degree or higher in a relevant discipline*
- *Related fields: computer science, software engineering, computer systems and information technology.
- Students who complete the UON Graduate Certificate in Cyber Security will receive 40 units of credit towards the Master of Cyber Security.
- Applicants who would like their professional qualifications and/or work experience to be considered need to provide certified copies of all relevant qualifications, a detailed CV and a statement of service or signed letters from employers confirming their role, duties and period of employment.
International41225 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 41225 AUD per year during 24 months.
National30295 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 30295 AUD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Newcastle
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.